Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

suggest a memory IC

Status
Not open for further replies.

aruna1

guys can you suggest me a volatile FIFO memory ic. (should be comman so i can find it easily and cheap maxim would be great coz they give samples) having memory about few Kilobytes. i want to store 10101 bit sequence temporarily to use it later.
and also can you suggest a good tutorial where i can learn about these memory ICs
thanks

What speed ?
How wide ? (thinking 1 bit)

Letting us know what the application is would help too.

3v0

speed: i have no idea
wide: ahhhhhhhhhh i have never use these ICs
usage: i want to store some data from serial port to this memory IC and process collected data using a PIC

"Wide" refers to how many bits in a word. Some memory devices are 1-bit serial devices: it stores individual bits and you read/write them in a serial fashion. Some are 4 bits, some are 8.

If you're bringing in data from a serial port, you could store it serially on a 1-bit device, or you could assemble them into bytes as they come in and store them on a byte-wide device.

Does the device need to be FIFO or would a regular addressable RAM work? Of course, you can implement a FIFO in software using RAM by maintaining in and out pointers.

Some PIC18 MCUs have memory sizes of a few kilobytes.

Last edited:
"Wide" refers to how many bits in a word. Some memory devices are 1-bit serial devices: it stores individual bits and you read/write them in a serial fashion. Some are 4 bits, some are 8.

If you're bringing in data from a serial port, you could store it serially on a 1-bit device, or you could assemble them into bytes as they come in and store them on a byte-wide device.

Does the device need to be FIFO or would a regular addressable RAM work? Of course, you can implement a FIFO in software using RAM by maintaining in and out pointers.

Some PIC18 MCUs have memory sizes of a few kilobytes.

1 bit would be enough,and i like FIFO so i can use it without having to define memory address for each bit (i guess)

If you just want to buffer 10k bits then something like a 18f2620 could do it on chip with memory to spare. You could also arrange it so it worked as a fifo.

What exactly are you trying to do?

Mike.

If you just want to buffer 10k bits then something like a 18f2620 could do it on chip with memory to spare. You could also arrange it so it worked as a fifo.

What exactly are you trying to do?

Mike.

I'm looking for non PIC version.some thing with little big memory lets say 32KB, well I'm trying to learn how to use memory ICs to store data,and to use them to collect serial data from devices like serial port,rf modules etc.
thanks

That is not the way to do it. A memory chip can't just buffer serial data. If you are going to process the data on a pic (as you stated) then either buffer it on the pic or use an external memory attached to the pic to buffer it.

Mike.

That is not the way to do it. A memory chip can't just buffer serial data. If you are going to process the data on a pic (as you stated) then either buffer it on the pic or use an external memory attached to the pic to buffer it.

Mike.
what do you mean by external memory?

Something like an I2C or SPI serial memory. Like a 24LC1025, a 1Meg serial EEPROM. But, for your requirements you would normally just use the pics memory.

Mike.

Something like an I2C or SPI serial memory. Like a 24LC1025, a 1Meg serial EEPROM. But, for your requirements you would normally just use the pics memory.

Mike.

hmm EEPROm sounds good.can you tell me more about using them,a tutorial link may be. i really like to do this without pic coz i cant learn any thing by putting data to a array in a pic
thanks

Have a look at Microchip.com under products->memory.
Their i2c eeproms are popular and you can find code and projects anywhere on the web.

They recently released a nice 256kbit SPI serial ram too;
23A256

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back