Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Suggesion for LCD (Graphical or Charecter)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvadu

Hi I am working on a digital Speedo project. I need to display speed reading in 3:1 digits (three digits and one decimal). Digits should be big enough to read from distance..(as Honda Civic has in its dashboard)

I am thinking about using PIC16F628A for communication. But I am not sure about type of LCD I should use either a character based (like 20x7) where by joining lot of black dots i can make a digit, or a graphical display..

So you need to suggest me now..

1. What kind of LCD should i use graphical or character
2. PIC16F628 is enough or not
Please note that I played only with this PIC till today in JAL, i never used a graphical LCD..
3. Availability and cost of the LCD you suggested

attached is a sample display which i am looking for..

Attachments

• LCD.GIF
    LCD.GIF
    3.2 KB · Views: 109
Depends on what you want. Text displays are all fairly small characters, graphical ones can be made big.

The bigger issue is what kind of display and backlight. Many do not have a very wide temp range and will black out temporarily in the summer heat or only show faded digits in the cold.

Oznog said:
Depends on what you want. Text displays are all fairly small characters, graphical ones can be made big.

As per my logic even text displays can be used to display big digits, if multiple character blocks are used to display a single digit. Like the one in my example image. Only thing is digits will not be sharp, there will be some white lines in-between two dots. So alternative is to use a graphical LCD, but my concern is I never worked with graphical LCD, I am not sure whether 16F628 is enough for that or not :confused:

Oznog said:
The bigger issue is what kind of display and backlight. Many do not have a very wide temp range and will black out temporarily in the summer heat or only show faded digits in the cold

I am not bothered about temp. In India (that too in Bangalore) through out the year we have almost constant temp :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back