Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sub repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickolaughagus

I recently found that my sub, the Infinity Entra Sub 2, was not turning on, so I cracked it open. I found that a Surface Mount Capacitor and another standard Capacitor were blown, and they died a fiery death before blowing the fuse. I bought a 6.8uf Cap already, but I could not find a Capacitor to replace the SM. I don't think that fixing the caps will solve the issue that caused the fuse to blow, however, because I have always been able to smell that burnt electronic smell when I had the sub bumping. See the attached picture which shows the blown surface mount and damaged board. It actually appears that the board is most damaged at one of the leads to the inductor L3. It may not be a complete circuit even. I just replaced the fuse to see what would happen, and it blew instantly. Can I fix the board, or is it toast?

See the link which concerns a very similar issue:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/infinity-entra-sub-two-repair.148189/

20160701_181950.jpg

Last edited:
This is pretty awesome, I recently found that my sub was broken, so I cracked it open. I also have the SM and Cap blown, but mine died a fiery death before blowing the fuse. What did you buy to take care of the SM? Also, should I even waste my time on this (see picture)
Hy Nick- nice to see you on ETO. I see you are from the United States; care to tell us which state.

About your faulty sub- you should start a new thread and by all means refer back to this thread with a link. That way you will not only get a better response from ETO members but you will also be complying with ETO rules about not hijacking a thread.

spec

Ok I am getting the.1 uf cap and the other larger cap today. I'm going to try manually Soldering on leads from the inductor, which looks like it caught the board on fire, to the nearest good condition points that are on the same circuit, then I'll also be Soldering the large cap into its same spot. I don't think it'll have great contact either, so I will probably solder in a lead from that to another contact point. Lastly, I will be Soldering in the surface mount in the same fashion, tying it into 2 random contacts between the circuits. If anyone has any inputs on things I may be doing wrong please let me know by tonight. I've never repaired a circuit board before.

Last edited:
Guys I just wanted to say thanks for all the help. I'm glad I was able to find this site! Amazing, helpful people replied to my comment immediately and had my thread moved. Since my thread was moved, an abundance of awesome people have commented on the thread, answering all of my questions. Thanks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back