Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

stun gun question

Status
Not open for further replies.

windozeuser

Hey Everyone I am sort of a newb into electronics though i build computers and stuff i am new in the circuit design field, Anyways, about the stun gun i understand the whole circuit i think :wink: expect for the transformer part where can i get it, or is there another kind i can use also this may sound silly but how do i hook it up i get confused around wiring transformers and relays.

Any Help is greaty appreciated

Thank You!

The transformer use to be available from newark, but it seems to have disappeared from their online store.

Anyway, the transformer is a mini-audio transformer, and can be hooked up similar to any other semiconductor, with this one the pins are like that of a transistor/capacitor/etc. They come out of the bottom and are roughly 1 inch in length, just get the spacing, then transfer it to a PCB, or if you're using perfboard, just insert the transformer and solder it down.

The design of this particular stungun requires you only use 4 of the pins on this model (which has 5 I believe) on one side there are 3 on this design this is the secondary (Being a 200K-1K, when used in reverse it's kinda like a 1K-200K, only it doesn't have 1K of voltage going to it, so it results in about 2KV) and the other side, the primary has 2 pins, which are soldered to the board, then to 2 wires, and the wires are soldered to 2 electrodes (you can use 2 small nails, the kind you hang pictures with work well since they have a fairly sharp point and can penetrate clothing)

Does this answer you're question ? If not I can elaborate on anything that's still fuzzy.

The transformer use to be available from newark, but it seems to have disappeared from their online store.

Anyway, the transformer is a mini-audio transformer, and can be hooked up similar to any other semiconductor, with this one the pins are like that of a transistor/capacitor/etc. They come out of the bottom and are roughly 1 inch in length, just get the spacing, then transfer it to a PCB, or if you're using perfboard, just insert the transformer and solder it down.

The design of this particular stungun requires you only use 4 of the pins on this model (which has 5 I believe) on one side there are 3 on this design this is the secondary (Being a 200K-1K, when used in reverse it's kinda like a 1K-200K, only it doesn't have 1K of voltage going to it, so it results in about 2KV) and the other side, the primary has 2 pins, which are soldered to the board, then to 2 wires, and the wires are soldered to 2 electrodes (you can use 2 small nails, the kind you hang pictures with work well since they have a fairly sharp point and can penetrate clothing)

Does this answer you're question ? If not I can elaborate on anything that's still fuzzy.

MEH! Double Post... :( I hate when my connection lags, and I have a cable modem...

Thanks

thanks Nostrafus!

Here's The Circuit sorry i didnt post it earlier:
:lol:

**broken link removed**

There No such thing as security

3 pins?

:shock: one Thing That confuses me a little is Why are there 3 pins on the secondary? and wat dose the third pin do? like the other two would be the output if im correct :p

Okay it's like this there are 3 pins, you can use two of them, so say you don't need the full power of the transformer so you use the bottom and the center, so you're only using 1/2 the transformer's power to induce voltage on the other side.

Also if you plan on building it, make sure your lines on your pcb are thick, if you make them too thin you can blow the copper right off the pcb, I've seen it, my old stun-gun blew off 3 sections of copper, the negative lead, melted one of the electrodes, and popped the led indicator when it shorted. It worked fine for about 20 firings, after that it blew.

Thank's for your help

im probably gonna build it on a prefboard is there any thing i got to watch out for? like diff solder and crap lol thanks :lol:

Not really, perfboard needs wires which can handle the voltage, so that's all you have to worry about, it's just when your wires get too thin (roughly under 26 ga) that they can blow to hell.

As for solder, rosin core solder has yet to fail me. (The stungun was purchased, wanted to know what was inside it) plus it's got one of the best scents in the world, VAPORUB! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back