Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Strange LED display behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

upand_at_them

Sometimes my 4-digit display stops showing the upper two digits. If I swap out the display for an identical one it works fine. If I put the original back in it's back to normal.

Is it possible I'm damaging the PIC by drawing too much current? I have a 16F886 connected to a 4-digit CA display. PortB to the segments. PortC.0-3 to the digits. No resistors.

I've run this TONS of times, though, and never had a problem until today...I'm making a tachometer and I have PortA.5 as analog, reading the output from an IR transistor.

Any ideas what's happening?

Sometimes my 4-digit display stops showing the upper two digits. If I swap out the display for an identical one it works fine. If I put the original back in it's back to normal.

Is it possible I'm damaging the PIC by drawing too much current? I have a 16F886 connected to a 4-digit CA display. PortB to the segments. PortC.0-3 to the digits. No resistors.

I've run this TONS of times, though, and never had a problem until today...I'm making a tachometer and I have PortA.5 as analog, reading the output from an IR transistor.

Any ideas what's happening?

hi,
It sounds as though the PIC drivers are overheating, ideally you should have series resistors with LED's.
If you are short of board space you could insert a low value resistor in series with the common cathode of each digit.
You may get a slight reduction in LED brightness depending on how many segments are lit on the LED.

Thanks, Eric, I'll try it, because now I find that one particular program can induce the problem.

hi,
Pattern sensitive problems are often found in electronics equipment.
For example: when you have more than a certain number of segments lit the drivers shut down.

It seems to be instigated by my analog read on RA5. Without that I can run the display without problems, for any length of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back