Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Still looking at power supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarr

Hi,
I have a 5v 3amp reg, and I need the following supplies on my project

5v @ 200ma (max)
3.8v @ 2amp (max)
3.3v @ 200ma (max)

I currently use three regs to achive this the 3.3v & 3.8v being fed from the 5v reg. (saves smoothing caps and three wide voltage range regs)

Could I use voltage dividers instead of the 3.3v & 3.8v reg bearing in mind that the current drawn from the 3.8v device varies from a few ma to 2amp. and the 3.3v device stays pretty much constant at 120ma

P.S. Main supply is 12v-24v (vehicle / truck)

Thx

Scarr said:
Hi,
I have a 5v 3amp reg, and I need the following supplies on my project

5v @ 200ma (max)
3.8v @ 2amp (max)
3.3v @ 200ma (max)

I currently use three regs to achive this the 3.3v & 3.8v being fed from the 5v reg. (saves smoothing caps and three wide voltage range regs)

Could I use voltage dividers instead of the 3.3v & 3.8v reg bearing in mind that the current drawn from the 3.8v device varies from a few ma to 2amp. and the 3.3v device stays pretty much constant at 120ma

No, particularly for the 3.8V rail - if the current drawn varies you need a regulator. If the 3.3V rail is constant at 120mA (and not 'pretty' constant), you could use a 14 ohm resistor (fed from the 5V rail), it will dissipate about 0.2W - however, if the current drawn varies, the voltage will vary as high as 5V, and as low as 0V. If you fed it from the 3.8V rail you could use a 4 ohm resistor, and dissipate only 0.06W - and the voltage couldn't go any higher than 3.8V.

Using a potential divider would help reduce the maximum voltage on the rail (rather than a straight dropper resistor), but would increase heat dissipation considerably - as a 'rule of thumb' a potential divider should pass five times the current that you are drawing from it.

What are the three rails actually for?.

Thanks

I have a GSM and GPS engines, the GPS is pretty constant but I don't think constant enough having read your post, and the GSM when just sitting there doing nothing draws little current but can peak at 2amp whne making a call in bad area.

All I was trying to do is save PCB space and cost :eek:) but I do need three supplies.

Is there no tri-supply adjustable voltage reg, where I can decide what volts I want from each output. or a 5v,3.8v,3.3v fixed? Probably not but worth asking.

Another problem the small voltage difference: not enough for normal regulator. The 2A adjustable LDO not too cheap...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back