Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stereo VU Meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzigish

I'm building the project, Stereo VU Meter, I found here: **broken link removed**

Since I couldn't find the BC557 and BC547, I bought the BC557C and BC547B which has a much higher hfe value.

How can I modify the circuit to work with these transistors?

Don't know if this is important, but i'm using my car battery with a 9V-voltage regulator, and not a 9V battery.

The circuit should work with a higher HFE.

I might put a resistor of 470R in series with the emitter of the BC557. It probably isn't necessary, but it would be more predictable over temperature extremes.

I would also put a 10k from the base of the last BC547 to its emitter. Again, just for stability.

Instead of using millions of transistors, resistors and diodes you could use two LM3915 bar graph driver ICs.

An LM3915 has 10 comparators and LED drivers inside so transistors and diodes are not needed. The LED drivers have adjustable current regulation so the LEDs do not need current-limiting resistors.

Author mentions LM3915 and suggests this project is designed so it might be be built from parts already on hand instead.

An LM3915 would also be better because its comparator is logarithmic.

Farnell are in about 40 countries but not in South Africa.
The LM3915 is very common everywhere else and is fairly inexpensive.

Transistor circuits can be useful even in this day and age. Apparently South Africa is one place where that's true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back