Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

stepper motor power supply questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy153

Hello everyone, I am currently working on making a device that I can use with amazon alexa to control the curtains in my room. I have successfully built and programmed it, but I can not figure out how to properly power it. It uses an node MCU ESP-8266, Ln298N motor driver, a NEMA 17 stepper motor and two buttons. When I connect it to my variable power supply and set it at 12 volts, it sucks about 3.4 amps. It works like this and the stepper motor turns like it is supposed to, but the L298 chip gets extremely hot, so much so that I can see smoke coming off of it. Before I bought the variable power supply, I estimated that it would take about 4 amps to power, giving the stepper motor 2 amps, the micro-controller 1 amp, and the L298N 1 amp, but the same thing happens when I plug the 12 volt 4 amp power supply into it, I get magic smoke. I will include all the pictures and schematics that I can, all the help I can get would b appreciated, I do not know how to power it without making the chip get so hot. Im sorry if the problem is obvious, I just graduated High School and I have no formal education concerning electronics other than what I have taught myself. Thank you!

This is the power it was taking while the stepper motor is running

Here is all of the wiring

This is the device, the idea is that when the curtain is either all the way open or closed, a stop attached to a string hits one of the buttons and the stepper stops turning.

and a picture with the cover on, the entire case and cover is 3D printed.

Attachments

• 1560634474204.png
    1560634474204.png
    581 KB · Views: 238
Since you are not using current limiting resistors, I assume you are using PWM to limit the current to the motor. Try reducing the PWM on time until the motor is just strong enough to do the job.

The rated current of a stepper motor should never be exceeded, stepper drives use a much higher voltage than the rated voltage, but have a means to never exceed the rated current value, whether in motion or stationary.
Max..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back