Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stepper Motor Generator Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

seis78

hello everyone, I am new to this forum and am in need of some serious help. I make stepper motor generators and get just over 30 dc volts from it. I use rectifier diodes to make this happen. I would like to come out with a new design to produce more voltage. I am a auto mechanic so this field is alittle out of my range, but I will not stop at figuring this out. Anyone here know of better circuits to make, like a doubler? Thanks for any help I can get.

If you want a higher output voltage use an industrial stepper (e.g. welder robot). They are made for higher supply voltages and can produce higher voltage as well.

Boncuk

Spin the motor faster =)

Those motors are great to be used as an exiter for windmill projects.
Old VCR's, photo copiers and printers have lots of them.
Max. voltage is usually around 24 to 30 volts ac.

Many or the stepper motors can be taken apart and each phase can be isolated to give you several independent AC outputs. Then its just a matter of rectifying each one and stacking them in series to get a higher voltage. However you will loose amperage in the trade off.
Its the same concept as taking an alternator apart and isolating and rectifying each phase then stacking the now independent DC sources to get higher voltages out.

Lil Steamers? Way Cool! :)

Last edited:
Depends highly on the stepper tcmtech, I have a lot of smaller ones that the cases are all spotwelded shut on.

True. But all the bigger ones with bearings I have are screwed together.
Besides he works on cars he should understand spot welds and glue better than most of us!

The ones I am working with are screwed together, but I can't loose the amps. I need a new stepper motor I think.

How much torque can you afford to lose on the ones you're currently using? Simply gearing the stepper will make it spin faster, give you a higher voltage. If increasing the gear ratio to give you the higher voltage causes too much torque then a new stepper is going to do exactly the same thing, maybe slightly more efficient because you don't have gear train loss, but you're going to have to trade torque for voltage and voltage for current. You can't just increase the voltage with the same torque and get the same current.

Last edited:
I can not afford to loose that much torque with these engines, they are small. I was thinking that to try and find a stepper motor that has 7.2 degree, and still has an output of 12 volts, then I will add the bridge rectifier and double the output. Any one know how to tripple the out put of this motor now?

seis... You can't increase voltage at the same current without more torque, it violates the first law of thermodynamics. You can't make three apples out of two =)

Last edited:
Depends highly on the stepper tcmtech, I have a lot of smaller ones that the cases are all spotwelded shut on.

I attempted to do this with a stepper motor froma c rom and the whole magnet + shaft just came out with tiny metal balls.Pulling them apart isnt easy like you said if they are samll ones.

Last edited:
Bearinged even, you wasted a good stepper. All mine are bushings.

So sceadwian you need a few with bearings huh?

Send me a blank check and I will send you a whole 3 gallon pail of them! :D
Next day air too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back