Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

stepper motor driver for small CNC

Status
Not open for further replies.
The PCB was routed using a home made CNC routing machine, this machine infact:

Attachments

• IMG_4281_25.jpg
    IMG_4281_25.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 2,131
Last edited:
There was a guy selling bare machines without the electronics, i'll see if i can dig out what he has.

His name on CNC-Zone is WidgitMaster http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21872
He uses eaaenterprises on ebay:
**broken link removed**

That's a pretty high end design and a little small i guess, but it would save someone a lot of time if they wanted to make one. Have a look on the CNC-Zone for the cheaper MDF and Skate bearing machines and plans ie.. search for JGRO, Joe's design or Solsylva.

Last edited:
That $600 setup is extremely nice but way beyond my meager budget I'm afraid.

Thank you very much for passing along the info'.

Regards, Mike

You don't need $600 to make one, use MDF as the basic frame and make slides using pipe and skate bearings. There's a discussion about building them from just the stuff found in hardware stores, also there are plans floating about that use Heavy duty draw slides. There's people using the steppers and slides from old photcopiers and printers. People making power supplies from old battery chargers, others rewiring MOT's. People building there own stepper or servo drivers and servo motors. Don't forget ebay, you guys in America and UK have got it so lucky, if we want something here in australia we have to wrestle a freight companies crocodile for it.

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

YES.
that what exactly DIY stands for.of course u may not get much finishing,but stil......
@chiba
ur machine looks so compact and strong.i would like to see some more close snaps of it.if possible.

Fever, That's not my machine, it was just a random machine i showed from their gallery. A guy called igwood built it. I just chose it because it had a pcb and you know that's like naked women to most of us. My machine is not done yet, i'm still gathering parts and spending all my $$. I plan on building something i can cut big chunks of aluminium with and also do PCB's.

You can always look in their gallery for ideas: https://www.cnczone.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/505 i don't think you have to be a member?

Also most of the guys start a build log and you get to see it from day one to fin, that's in the forums under project logs or something. Igwood, didn't seem to start a log though. Oh and if you were refering to the widgitmaster machine, well he has a 27 page build on his, posted this earlier:
https://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21872

OK below are my plans of connecting spindle relay and limit switches to the parallel port.
(ckt iam using: **broken link removed** , https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2007/01/OS3schematic.pdf )

i just want to switch on spindle from software.so i used a opto chip to keep the port safe.but i wonder can i switch a AC motor from that relay? which wire shld be used to relay ends.is it phase or neutral of mains.

and i haven't decided any software for my CNC.what do u guys suggest.mostly i'll use the machine for engraving or plotting.

Attachments

• relay-motor.gif
    relay-motor.gif
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,084
Firstly, the pic of the machine is on page 12 of "home made cnc machines" Gallery:
http://www.cnczone.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/505/page/12

The relay in your pic does not show any details other than the coil, when you get a relay make sure it can handle 240V/amps and that the ac is seperate from the coil, most are.
I have had this link for a while, The top part may be of some help to you:
**broken link removed**

edit: Software question...

There's probably heaps of shareware CNC router software to be found on google. You could try Dancad, a copy of it is here:
**broken link removed**
All the serious people use mach2 or Mach3, but that will cost a few $$

If you want to do PCB's use http://www.diptrace.com/ and you can just export the DXF to your CNC software.

BTW, most people are getting faster results from a DOS box rather than Windows, Windows doesn't care about anything else running but windows! also Desktop PC's allmost all have +5V ports whereas a lot of laptops have +3V ports that tend to annoy your stepper drivers.

Last edited:
well abt relay.its written 12v and 7A/250V.so i think it can be used to switch on spindle.but which line.is it phase or neutral.which one of them safe.

and regading the software.if i want to engrave words on a wood board with 2mm depth,do i have to write entire G code for it? or is there any software which can take words directly as input and engrave them on board.
is it possible?(i just had this idea in my mind)

aaaahhhhhh......
that 3-axis board seems to be not easy.iam unable to get IRLZ44 mosfet.its very depressing.
any more ideas for 3-axis driver guys.i want them on one board(i mean all X,Y,Z).as iam going to uses small motors (from printer) any low powered driver will work i think.
thanks in advance

Can't get IRLZ44's or are they too $? Where do you buy your components from?
Anyhow, The IRLZ44's are probably a little bit of an overkill for using printer steppers, you won't need to 50W, 60V, 50A. Find out what type of current your servo's are rated for and decide what voltage you are going to run them at, then choose an available N-chan mosfet to use, you'll still need the proper current limiting resistors as described in the driver docs.
If you can't get IR mosfets then use MTP60N06HD they are also overkill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back