Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stepper Motor Controller Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gladiator11

Would I be able to rotate a stepper motor 360 degrees and stop with the click of a button and it would only spin when a wireless signal from a transmitter told it to (like a wireless button pushed in; separate from the driver board). Is this a possibility? Powered remotely. Thank you.

Ok basically, I don't know where to start. I need a circuit board design to operate such a sequence. Thank you for your response. By the way, I live 5 minutes from St.louis, MO =]. Nice to meet you.

Last edited:
Nice meeting you as well. Are you familiar with coding or microcontrollers? Do you have an idea of what you want to use for a transmitter and receiver pair?

You might be better off with a simple DC motor, and put a cam on it, and a switch on the cam. It will turn 360' then stop. Heaps of old machines used a system like this.

Then you just need a 555 timer to start it up each time.

Great point, was thinking of that but wasn't sure how precisely it would stop. I really need it to stop nearly exact to 0-360 degrees. Also, I'm assuming DC motors more efficient than stepper motors?

Also, I'm assuming DC motors more efficient than stepper motors?
For DC motor at low speed, a big part of the input power goes to heat, just a little goes to movement.

Last edited:
You'd need to count the number of steps of the stepper motor and then make the stop pin high, so turning 360deg and then stopping isn't as easy as it first sounds.

Another factor you need to take in account when operating steppers: In general, you don't know the position of the stepper. So you must make a procedure that run the stepper "backwards" until some button is touched. That's the first thing to do.

Ok, can I just use a brushless dc motor + controller and an IR photo sensor to stop it at 360 degrees? or will that not be accurate??

Ok, can I just use a brushless dc motor + controller and an IR photo sensor to stop it at 360 degrees? or will that not be accurate??
That depends on how fast the motor will go. Will it stop at the right spot if speed is too high?

It will always be possible to make the rotation approx 360 deg. But how accurate do you need it to be? Eg. a tehth of a degree?

Use a standard DC gearmotor. A nice slow one like a windscreen wiper motor. In fact the early windscreen wiper motors ALREADY HAD a bult in rotation detect switch so they would stop at the right spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back