Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stepper and Servo Motor Control System

Status
Not open for further replies.

victorjiem

I am currently working on automating a machine, but am quite new to LabView and motion control in general. I am putting together a components list, and wanted to make sure the components I am planning on using will work together, handle the tasks I need them to, make sure I am not missing any components, or have any extraneous components. The current setup uses a PCI-6024E to record torque input by an operator vs pressure output of the system. After cycling the system and analyzing the graph in LabView, the operator manually makes a timing adjustment (turns a screw), and repeats the process untill a satisfactory curve is achieved.

I plan on using a PCI-7342 for the motion control and DAQ duties, connected to a UMI-7772. Connected to the UMI will be a Single Axis AKD Drive (P/N: 781522-01) driving an AKM43H servo to apply the torque to the system. Also connected to the UMI will be a Single Axis Stepper Drive (P/N: P70530) driving a NEMA 17 stepper motor to run the adjustment screw. Will be using a PS-2 (P/N: 777584-01) DC power supply to power the UMI and both Stepper/Servo Drives.

As the PCI-7342 has two serial ports on it, I plan on connecting the current DAQ through one, and connecting the other to the UMI for motion control duties, or do I need to use a Connector Block and connect them both through the same port?

Is the PCI-7342 capable of cycling the system, running the collected data through an algorithm, making the adjustment to the system, and re-cycling until a preset output vs input value is acheived?

I hate to get into this project and realize I am missing several hundred (or thousand) dollars of components, or that I selected the wrong components for the task.

Thanks

selecting components takes a bit of effort, you need to know more about the process, do some math, make a checklist and follow through.

i didn't read your entire post but it looks like you have PC as a controller hosting NI cards and driving two axes: one is servo and other is stepper.

servo axis should have:
- amplifier
- motor (with or without brake)
- power cable
- feedback cable
- gearbox (optional)
- overtravel limit sensors (forward and reverse)
- home sensor (reference, dog, origin or whatever name you like to use)

normally you would use motor with brake so axis does not change position when machine is stopped or powered down.
depending on bending diameter, how fast and how often cables move, you may want to look into high flex cables.
gearbox is used to trade-off torque and speed. it also is used commonly to solve inertia matching problems. mismatched system will be either non-responsive or unstable. you want to do some math before picking components.

stepper axis looks the same but usually has no feedback (which may not be your case).
in comparison to servo steppers are cheaper, slower, can be used in open loop...
but if used without feedback need to be oversized or you may loose position even while accelerating/decelerating.

now to control each axis you need suitable interface. read the datasheets of the cards before making any decision. get sales rep sellin NI products to help you out. he has application engineer on his side and their job is to help inexperienced and confused customers.

do you have at least basic training in DC circuits and understand concepts like Ohms Law, Power etc? i ask because your power supply is a joke.
P=V*I = 24V*0.8A = 19.2W

that is enough to power UMI's needs, at least on the 24V side (you still need 5V supply, do you read the specs?).
but this is NOT going to cut it to power stepper drive - if you were to use that stepper drive to it's abilities (300W), you would need much bigger unit.

however your motor is only nema 17 (so this stepper drive is an overkill) so you do need a larger PSU but it does not need to be a 400W unit...

serial communication is ... slow - be careful where you use it. why bother with serial and 2-3 messages per second when you have I/O capable of sampling at 1ms or better?

ask for help and use your head if you want to keep that job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back