Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Steering Mechanism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for mentioning Ackermann steering, 4pyros. It can be accomplished with a simple shortening of one linkage - relatively easy to implement and understand, gives you more true steering and longer tire life, even on a model car.

Which linkage would that be ? I didn't realise it was all so simple. I thought that track , wheelbase , castor angle , tyre width , wheel diameter , suspension rates & geometry & so on may have some affect. Then of course there is the Ackerman angle, the true ackerman angle or maybe the reverse ackerman angle. Now that I find out that it is just a matter of shortening a linkage I am depressed.

200px-Ackermann_Steering_layout.gif
As you can see the steering linkage (tie rod) between the linkage pivots points is shorter than the distance between the wheel pivot points (king pins). But the steering arms still need to be bent at more than 90 degress.

Parallel steering;
Parallel_Steering_Layoul.gif
can be changed to Ackermann;
Parallel_Steering_Layoul converted.GIF
By added a right angel peace (in red) to the steering arms and moving the linkage pivot points in toarwds the center. Making the steering linkage shorter.
Thats what I did for my sons Quarter Midget race car.

Last edited:
Instead of cut & paste from Wiki maybe you could help your son by actually reading & understanding the topic. All you have done is very roughly approximate the ackerman primary angle. A bit like jumping out of a plane with an umbrella & thinking that you have a parachute.

If your looking for something really simple try pivot steering. If you are making the parts yourself king pins and spindles can be an obstacle.

Instead of cut & paste from Wiki maybe you could help your son by actually reading & understanding the topic.
My son is fine, I worry for you however.
I have spent considerable time on the subject in working on my sons old car with the help a few chassis builders. I am not an expert but am willing to help others with what I do know. One thing I know is that you have not contributed anything to this thread. If you know something about the subject than please share it, instead of attacking others trying to help.

Last edited:
Why do you worry for me , you seem intent on personal attacks. You admit you are not an expert but you feel you are helping others with your misinformation. You have oversimplified a very complex design concept. I have given you examples of other criteria that you prefer to ignore. I cannot give you a steering/suspension course on this thread. There is plenty of information out there but please read beyond the introduction. That's all folks!

Guys, let's just chill out. Does it REALLY make a difference in anyone's life? I asked for a simple mechanism, and got got one. That's it. Leave it alone.

Thanks again for the steering suggestion (no matter what it's called, it's helpful. FULL STOP.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back