Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Steady hand game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally, I now have some free time to get working on some mini-project.

I'm making a steady hand game and I was thinking.

In steady hand games, the wire exposed will be a live wire hence current will be running through it. How could I make it such that the user would not be electrocuted if they touch the wire but it still works if they touch the wire with the metal handle to signal the game that they lost?

something that looks like this:

This is the circuit. ( circuit is not mine i take no credit for it)

Note: the loose 'live' wire I'm taking about will go in place instead of SW2

( leds too need current limiting resistors)

Last edited:
the wire exposed will be a live wire hence current will be running through it
The wire will NOT have "current running through it" until the hand probe touches the curly wire.
There will be voltage on the wire, but current will not flow. A big difference.

the user would not be electrocuted if they touch the wire
This thing is powered from a 9 volt battery, that is going to "electrocute" nobody.

The circuit as drawn is electrically harmless.

JimB

The wire will NOT have "current running through it" until the hand probe touches the curly wire.
There will be voltage on the wire, but current will not flow. A big difference.

This thing is powered from a 9 volt battery, that is going to "electrocute" nobody.

The circuit as drawn is electrically harmless.

JimB
thanks or the correction, I forgot to mention that the circuit has to be in a 'loop' for electrons to flow through the exposed wire.

Thanks for clearing up the issue.

It sorta looks like an on/off switch; timer with timer start button and the exposed ring acting as a switch. You have to complete the course within a time period.

I've built one of these amongst other things to raise money for charity, with a switch to select a buzzer or a really loud siren (the buzzer so as not to give older players a heart attack).
Anyway I havent tried this and it depends if your using the thing inside near mains wiring or not, but if you replaced R2 for 220k and the 555 for a 7555 the timer trigger input will probably be sensitive enough to pick up someone touching either electrode, you might need to experiment with the value, too high and phones/someone walking past might trigger it.
(the circuit shown doesnt really need the thyristor, rewiring the 4017 would give the same function)
Another way would be to use a capacitive sensor and/or a prgrammable device but thats getting silly for a simple machine.

I did one as a kid 50+ years ago, but it was way simple. A washer soldered to a rod and no "course", just a straight iod with a conical end. No timer either,

Seen silly ones that work a bit like a theramine where the thing whistles higher and higher in pitch as the wand gets closer to the wire run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back