Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

stationary wave: a large amplitude crest and trough can form downstream of submerged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boulder = Big Rock

Consider you are standing beside a river, the water is flowing past.

Upstream = the direction the water flowing from

Downstream = the direction the water is flowing to

Easy.

JimB

Hi Jim

Thanks. But my question was not about the semantics rather I was asking what that part meant in that context.

Regards
PG

Sorry, but I am failing to understand what you don't understand.
If you see what I mean!

JimB

The water flowing over and then beyond (downstream of the boulder) results in a turbulence that sets up "standing waves", i.e., the crests of the waves remain at the same point. This is unlike the waves produced by wind seen at a lake or ocean shoreline (they "roll" in: the crests are not stationary).

Is that what you were asking?

Hi cowboybob

I believe this is what I was looking for. I'm happy you understood where I was coming from. Thanks a lot.

Regards
PG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back