Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Starting with AVR In Assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alharad

Greetings friends!

I am new here, as you are probably aware of, but I'm looking forward to a productive time while I am here (I intend to be here as often as I can). I am in high-school and have obtained an interest in electronics a year or so ago. Programming is especially my interest, which I hope to learn more about! I'd like to get started with AVR's in the assembly language and need some help with that. Here are my questions:

1. I need to get a programmer, which one would you all recommend?
  2. I also need to learn the assembly language for AVR's, how should I do that?
  3. Are there any tutorials for starting out like me that you guys would recommend?

So, I'm really excited about starting this!! I know assembly will be a challenge, but I am looking forward to that, for sure! Amway, I hope some of you can help me out!

Alharad

hi

if your computer has a printer port so make a printer programmer (Google avr printer programmer) it is the easiest and cheapest programmer.(this programmer only programs the AVR ICs that have MISO & MOSI (Atmega 8,Atmega 16,32,64 ,...))

about the language : i use Bascom . i have write a lot of sophisticated programs with it and never had a problem. and it is so easy

hi

if your computer has a printer port so make a printer programmer (Google avr printer programmer) it is the easiest and cheapest programmer.(this programmer only programs the AVR ICs that have MISO & MOSI (Atmega 8,Atmega 16,32,64 ,...))

about the language : i use Bascom . i have write a lot of sophisticated programs with it and never had a problem. and it is so easy

Thanks for replying!! Woah dude, one of those huge printer ports?! I was kind of thinking of USB for the programmer.

I'm still set on programming in assembly, but thanks man! :)

I did not have this link in the other thread.

STM8S-DISCOVERY STMicroelectronics MCU

ETO thread about it. https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/stmicro-stm8s-discovery-usb-evbu-under-10.104050/

Spend $10 for this and you have a USB based In Circuit Debugger and both C and (I expect) ASM tools.

This doesn't program AVR's does it? It looks like only from stmicro or whatever. I'd be willing to pay for this, it can program a large number of AVR micro-controllers.

Atmel Products - AVR Solutions - Mature AVR ISP In-System Programmer

Digi-Key - ATAVRISP2-ND (Manufacturer - ATAVRISP2)

Anybody have experience with this programmer? I need a good AVR to start out with too, what would be a general-purpose one that is pretty easy to start with?

Now I just need to learn assembly code, do any of you know of tutorials for this?

Thanks guys! :)

Read the thread I linked to.

This is a total system with programmer/debugger target chip and software. The question is how much help or support you will find on the net.

About 4 years ago it cost me about $100 to get somewhat less then the $10 system cost.

Having said that the most important thing to look at (given that you can afford to get setup) is quality of help you can get. Check out the help groups for the STM8S. ETO provides quite good help for people starting with PICs and I think the AVR help is getting better. I expect new people are better off asking question here then on either AVR freeks or PIClist.

These days most people want In Circuit Debugging as well as programming. Mostly you will only find that on the debuggers (or clones) provided by the chip vendors.

Hmmm...I read it and it looks like a cool programmer. But it doesn't seem to be able to program AVR's, only micro-controllers from STMicro.

I'm glad that AVR help is getting better, I'm going to need it! :D But it would still be nice to have a tutorial, ya know?

That programmer I posted was only $35, which isn't bad at all.

I had a discussion on the chat (cool place) and now i think I'll do C with AVR's. Anyone know of good tutorials I can follow along with? Can the mod change this title to just "Starting with AVR"??

I suggest you get an Arduino, it has an AVR, and on-board programmer, you just plug it on USB and that's it. Many many tutorials on the net. It's programmed in C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back