Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stalker alert circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moneer81

hey guys,

I have a stalker that keeps following me and showing up in the most unexpected situations. I was wondering if any of you have any rough ideas for devising an alert system...maybe something I can mount somewhere on her car that will alert me when she's within proximity or within a certain distance from my apartment...I know that there are all kinds of fancy GPS and vehicle tracking gizmos but I am thinking of something cheap and affordable. Any ideas ? ( please exclude suggestions like "get a restraining order" or "talk to her" )

thanks a lot.

You could plant a small radio transmitter in her car powered by her car battery and keep a radio tuned to that frequency so you will hear it when she approaches.

I don't know what is available in the US, but there are various kits available in Australia.

For example see www.jaycar.com.au and search for Catalogue numbers KE-4711 (Minature FM Transmitter), KJ-8750 (Three Stage FM Transmitter) & KC-5341 (Micromitter Stero FM Transmitter)

Len

well, placing a transmitter on a car would only work if you could actually tamper with the car itself, the batteries on those above mentioned transmitters don't last very long. The only way you could pull it off is if you actually wire it to the cars battery. Which i doubt you would want to do.

Wrong place mate, this is a social problem, not electronics. Have you tried confronting them. Threatening legal/police action is a nice way to leash em.

What do they want from you??

Tell her you've got AIDS and are mentally unstable.

ljcox,

thanks, I actually thought of that idea. Do you think however that it might interfere with her car's radio/stereo system?

and does anyone know what kind of range do those transmitters have?

Wrong place mate, this is a social problem, not electronics. Have you tried confronting them. Threatening legal/police action is a nice way to leash em.

What do they want from you??

I know this is a social problem...but anyways its a long story, and I cannot talk to the police because this person is a good friend of mine but she is kinda crazy about me....really weird and long story. Any ELECTRONICS suggestions will be very appreciated.

Don't forget that what you are proposing to do is illegal, well over the pond here in the UK it is, I'm sure that it is in the US too. Tinkering with her car is also a bit risky on a few other fronts, what if she catches you and stabbs you? you be sleeping for a long time!! or what if your tinkering causes a fire when she turns her radio on? manslaughter, you'll be someone else's *****!! both a bit extreme given the circumstances but worth bearing in mind the posibility.

Sorry to give the blarr blarr boaring talk.

In relation to your question about the radio transmitter modules, ranges vary form 100m to about 2km with LOS in free space. Put it in a car and have a brick wall between it and you reciever, and the ranges are now an order lower. The devices themselfs should not interfere with the radio, but concider this, the devices themselfs could interfere with you and your friend's relationship, no telling how though.

Ok Moneer81, levity aside ......

I think you will be disappointed with an r.f. device.

It is unreasonable to assume that you will get access to the vehicle's electrical system for long enough to connect anything and conceal it. That leaves you with a self-contained battery device and that means a trade-off between output power and longevity.

The antenna would obviously be short so this implies u.h.f. It will, of necessity, be very close to the vehicle's body which doesn't augur well. There is no way to predict the radiation pattern or the range.

And it will be impossible to deduce any information regarding the transmitter's distance from you if and when you do hear it.

Sorry to sound so negative but these are the facts.

As David said, you will not really have the time to do a fit. You need to gain access, without being seen, you need to get an ariel to a good place, you need to wire it up, and so on. You also need to make sure you leave no markings, no damage, and if the car is dirty, you buggered. I'll give a ballpark figure, 4 hours to complete a fit start to finnish. Don't question it, it's validity, it's accuracy, believe me I know.

You would be far more able to produce and fit a device with magnets and attach it to the bottom of the car. Don't forget we are still in illegal territory here though, If seen you might get picked up under suspision of planting an IED, and spend a day in the clink.

But on the engineering side your device could be movement activated and transmit short bursts of coded data to save on the power side. A quater wave ariel on one of these modules will be around 30cm long, can you see the difficulty in it's deployment now? It's not a good idea anyway!

It sounds like you'd be better off putting a hole in the cars muffler. Then you could hear it whenever it was near (and the direction it's comeing from).

If you don't want to damage the car, a whistle in the tailpipe might also do the trick.

A jumper wire from the brake light switch to the horn relay is a sure fire way to let yourself know when the car is near! I used to do this a prank. :D

thanks a lot for the great ideas...and the funny ones too.

I actually might be able to have access to her car, she is a close friend...hopefully this won't lead us to digress into a social solution for my problem. :)

well believe me if you don't feel attracted to a girl, and if you don't want her, and if she follows you everwhere and makes your life a living hell then that would be a problem.

There was a movie on this, the girl go's psycho for the guy and ends up killing all the girls he tries to go out with and ends up killing him I think.

Don't want to scare you or anything, you could always make that tazer on electro-tech-online.

:lol:

A taser might just make her more hornxx, err turned-on by the poor guy. :lol:

Yea maybe, or she will just want to follow you even more.

Maybe it's the girl right now and finding a way out how to track him so she never loses him?
We could be helping the evil villin right now?
:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back