Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

St Helena Island....South Atlantic. Ever heard of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvtech

Most Helpful Member
Hi all

Carrying on from here: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/firearms-countermeasures.130777/

The place: http://www.sthelenatourism.com/
The Airport development: **broken link removed**
The History: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleon
The beauty: http://www.earthphotos.com/Countrie...1_hjJBnD/895614434_fMuBN#!i=895613376&k=gXZob

Just thought I would share this with you guys. Please note that there are photo's that will chow (eat) airtime for those that have bandwidth problems.

As always
tvtech

I always dreamed to pass close to it when crossing from River Plate to North Sea. No luck!

But for Pascua Island, just 26 miles away, in night time, visible in the radar.

Pitcairn instead, at sight but when it was exactly abeam, at 22.00 LT, all lights went off. Maybe they had a generator and it was time to switch it off. Coincidence, when I reached home after that voyage, I run across a National Geographic issue showing a lot about Pitcairn.!

Last edited:
A friend decided to move to paradise upon retirement. He had visited Hawaii many times and decided to move there. He built a home and moved. After 6 months, he couldn't stand it, sold his home, and moved back to the mainland.

Be leery of the hidden character of small islands. You may end up the only one who is "not family."

John

Yes I have heard of St Helena, never been there though.

jpanhalt said:
Be leery of the hidden character of small islands. You may end up the only one who is "not family."
I lived on the Shetland Islands for 2/3 years, it was a nice place to be and I did not have problems of not being "one of the family".
However, the place did mess with my head a little bit.
Because of the geography of Mainland Shetland, there are very few circular routes.
If you travel somewhere, you have to travel the same route back.
There was one route from my house to work, and the same route back.
One route from my house to the main town (Lerwick) and the same route back. (not completely true, you could take a diversion for part of the way but it is not an obvoius thing to do).
I found this one way there and the same way back a bit boring and frustrating.

I must make a nostalgia trip back there sometime, only an hour on the plane, or 14 hours on the ferry:eek::eek:

JimB

There are many places which, on the face of it, are idyllic: certainly when seen through the eyes of a tourist making a brief visit. But a prolonged stay may reveal the downside of living there. Islands, especially in warm climates, are particularly inviting; but things such as limited/no health care facilities, cost of importing goods/materials, hurricanes, earthquakes, being an outsider etc, have to be considered.

From the pictures, it looks nice.

Having passed many times close to Malta and Pantelleria I always dreamed to visit them. No luck.

I always dreamed to pass close to it when crossing from River Plate to North Sea. No luck!

But for Pascua Island, just 26 miles away, in night time, visible in the radar.

Pitcairn instead, at sight but when it was exactly abeam, at 22.00 LT, all lights went off. Maybe they had a generator and it was time to switch it off. Coincidence, when I reached home after that voyage, I run across a National Geographic issue showing a lot about Pitcairn.!

Ahh. River Plate. That is where the guys from ACDC recorded their first live gig in Twenty Years.....

Yes, they have aged....but man can they ROCK. Still. They don't need the money...they do it for the fans, and the crowds and all...and me.

I am going to upload "She shook me all night long" live. Here. I hope this site can handle it.

Upload failed. As expected.

Links here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vziu1ZNrmWY

You can save it if you are savvy....

Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
A friend decided to move to paradise upon retirement. He had visited Hawaii many times and decided to move there. He built a home and moved. After 6 months, he couldn't stand it, sold his home, and moved back to the mainland.

John

My father used to tell the story of a guy who lived in Milwaukee, Wi back in the 1950's and was what we would call a "professional Irishman"
Where ever he went people made much to-do about him and bought him drinks - etc.

He quit his job and moved to Ireland with his family

His kids couldn't roller skate as the streets were cobblestone.

Once in Ireland, he was no longer getting the attention he craved.
Everyone else was also Irish like him.

Less than a year later he was back in Milwaukee.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side :)

My father used to tell the story of a guy who lived in Milwaukee, Wi back in the 1950's and was what we would call a "professional Irishman"
Where ever he went people made much to-do about him and bought him drinks - etc.

He quit his job and moved to Ireland with his family

His kids couldn't roller skate as the streets were cobblestone.

Once in Ireland, he was no longer getting the attention he craved.
Everyone else was also Irish like him.

Less than a year later he was back in Milwaukee.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side :)

Well, thanks for speaking...always good....

I am but a guest here on this brilliant Forum. I moan a lot. Because I have lot's to moan about......

Why can't people see things like I do..something is either right or wrong......no gray areas. Ever.
I have this simple way of looking @ life.

Keep things uncomplicated...I reckon.

Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
something is either right or wrong......no gray areas
If only life were thus. Of course, that would put most of the legal profession out of business ;)

St Helena is a big volcano island, isn't it ?

To answer my own post above...

St Helena is in the process of having an Airport built. Basil Read from South Africa are building it. And all is on schedule.

One of the remotest places in the World will change FOREVER. Many, many people there are against it.....but necessary for the population there to get up to speed for survival. They mostly rely on bailouts from the UK. They apparently do not grow much fresh produce on St Helena.....need to be taught??

The tourism potential there is mind blowing though. It is apparently going to ROCK once the Airport is completed.

I am waiting with bated breath to see how all pans out.

Regards,
tvtech

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back