Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Firearms Countermeasures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Val Gretchev

Forum Supporter
My purpose in writing this article is to begin a discussion about a very controversial topic – making all weapons based on gunpowder obsolete. This introduction is rather complicated so bear with me. It also requires that a technological breakthrough takes place, i.e. – an invention, before it can be realized. Some may find this just wishful thinking, science fiction, or fantasy. In defense, I would like to quote Arthur C. Clark’s three laws of prediction, namely:

1. When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.

2. The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.

3. Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

First, some background: everyone is aware what guns have wrought in today’s society. I do not have to elaborate on that. Many people over the years have sought to ban guns in one form or another. They have all failed in their quest. I am convinced that the main reason for their failure is the premise that everyone should give up their guns except the people in power, i.e. – the police forces and the armed forces. In this way, the people who are predisposed to subjugating everyone else will have the clout to do so without any possibility of opposition. So, the next time some politician proposes a ban on all handguns, ask him/her if that includes all guns including those in possession by police, and see what he/she says.

I am also convinced that the only way to get rid of guns once and for all is to make them useless, void, immaterial. This movement has to come from the majority of the people who don’t have guns or the power to make laws or the ability to spend large sums of money to lobby the government to maintain the status quo. It requires an invention, yes, but many inventions in the past originated in someone’s garage. Perhaps this forum might kindle some ideas.

Now, on to the technology: everyone is aware that guns depend on gunpowder. Over the years, many gunpowder formulations have been invented. They all have one thing in common: a compound whose molecules have a weak bond between the Oxygen atoms and the rest of the compound. A relatively low temperature will break this bond and O2 will be readily available to combine with other chemicals to produce much heat and pressure. Please review the write-up on Wikipedia dealing with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_nitrate. Also, a review of the write-up for https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cordite may be helpful.

The Wikipedia write-up on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetism states that:
“Electromagnetism is the interaction responsible for practically all the phenomena encountered in daily life, with the exception of gravity. Ordinary matter takes its form as a result of intermolecular forces between individual molecules in matter. Electrons are bound by electromagnetic wave mechanics into orbitals around atomic nuclei to form atoms, which are the building blocks of molecules. This governs the processes involved in chemistry, which arise from interactions between the electrons of neighboring atoms, which are in turn determined by the interaction between electromagnetic force and the momentum of the electrons.”

Since the molecular bonds in the oxidizing agent in gunpowder is based on electromagnetism, some form of electromagnetic radiation, i.e. – radio wave, might make this bond stronger and prevent the disassociation of the Oxygen atoms thereby preventing the ignition necessary for the firearm to work. This is where the invention comes in and, yes, it is not available at the moment. However, I am certain that someone will figure it out now that the seed of an idea is out-of-the-bag.

Therefore, it is easy to imagine an iPhone 6 (the biggest thing to happen to iPhone since iPhone) with this capability built-in that can be activated any time a person feels threatened by the possibility of injury by a gun thus rendering all standard weapons within a certain radius ineffective.

Please feel free to comment.

But you could use the iPhone's little known feature; SubMenu42->FluxCapacitor and go back in time before they shot you, that would be very effective as a firearms countermeasure.

But I have heard the 1.21 Gigawatt pulse it draws from the little LiPo battery can be problematic.

Wow off the wall,
You would need a huge electromagnet to brake the bounds in gunpowder and you would have to get past the metal of the gun.

You might succeed in outlawing guns and making them obsolete, but that will in no way stop criminal intent in human kind. Another weapon type will be invented, and this time this new weapon might be even more devastating than guns.

Guns don’t kill people. People do.

Come to South Africa for a while. You say only the government should have guns. Here the government IS the problem. Our own cops rob and kill us. Make wolf the sheepherder so to say.

Wow, look at all the green stripes! Poor me, I only have 1 stipe. You must have helped a lot of people make an LED blink. It’s as if all the generals are attacking a private for thinking out-of-the-box with one-liners.

I am glad you find the humor in this; I was afraid someone might take me seriously. I thought this forum was to “relax for a bit and unwind, have some fun and for talking about non-electronics stuff among fellow members”.

How much do you think such an invention would be worth to the military even if the initial prototypes required a nuclear reactor to supply the power? How much do you think it would be worth to the gun and ammunition manufacturers to suppress it? How much do you think it would be worth to the criminal element to get a hold of it first? I am expecting a knock on my door very soon by one of these organizations.

I’ll bet if tcmtech was still participating, he would come up with some useful suggestions.

I don't think people are laughing at you or putting you down... Just remember when some stupid sailor came back from his travels and declared the world was round... What an idiot he was!!

The point is people will have their say... I would agree that it would be an extraordinary large electromagnet field to do what your proposing.. I think the military worked on a similar project to deflect bullet trajectories... I don't think that worked either.

I thought my answer fitted with physics!!!!

You may be right and physics is wrong but you'll have to try a lot harder.

Have fun.

Mike.

some form of electromagnetic radiation, i.e. – radio wave, might make this bond stronger and prevent the disassociation of the Oxygen atoms thereby preventing the ignition necessary for the firearm to work.
Unfortunately if the field was strong enough to do that at a distance of a few paces or more think what it would be doing to the molecules in your own body! So you'd have to invent some e-m body armour too to protect yourself. But then the bad guys would be using body-armour, or firearm-armour, so you'd have to invent something to penetrate that. Something which would penetrate firearm/body-armour would also do you no good. Looks like a whole new arms race :D

Google “Creative Thinking Process”. The goal stays the same but the solution can change in any direction in order to achieve the goal. If fooling around with Oxygen has undesirable side-effects, then maybe some other solution may come to mind.

You might succeed in outlawing guns and making them obsolete, but that will in no way stop criminal intent in human kind. Another weapon type will be invented, and this time this new weapon might be even more devastating than guns.

Guns don’t kill people. People do.

Come to South Africa for a while. You say only the government should have guns. Here the government IS the problem. Our own cops rob and kill us. Make wolf the sheepherder so to say.

Hi Buddy

It is the truth that you speak. Tourists see all the good bits....living here we see and experience all the bad on a daily basis :mad:

And around nothing we can do about it. The sheeple have spoken and they once again will speak come Zuma's re-election. They seem to like the thief and all he stands for. Sick of this African politics situation here. All is going to hell.

This sheeple race prefers to break. Not build. How much more can a person who want's to build/help do???

ZUMA here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Zuma_rape_trial
ZUMA here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Zuma

I have seriously been looking at a place called St Helena Island in the South Atlantic ocean.....isolated but Basil Read is busy building an airport there. A place where I will happily pay my taxes, contribute to a "thinking" community...and a better life for all.

Not like here. Where ANC cadre thugs steal all. For their own self enrichment. Useless bastards, the lot of them.

Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
I think it would be easier and better to make something that would make the bullet explode in the gun!!

Hi,

The accepted practice is to stick your finger in the end of the gun just before they fire it. Everybody knows that. Just ask Bugs Bunny.

On the more serious side, it takes a lot to mess up the electrons in a substance. Even some of the strongest magnets in the world dont do that. The best so far is to get small objects to levitate without having them covered in any kind of metal. And that's at close range.
The field drops off as 1/d near the source, then tapers off a bit, then becomes 1/d^2 as the distance d increases, so it drops pretty quick.
However, in light of the new research into the guts of the electron itself we may see things that were once totally impossible simply because we had no way we could possibly guess what could be done to perform some action on matter. Time will tell us what these things may be.

Now we are getting somewhere. I thought about that and reasoned that disassociating the Oxygen atoms would be perhaps easier than strengthening the bond. Exploding or fizzling out the gunpowder would accomplish the goal, albeit permanently.

Oops, I went a bit off topic with my post :eek:

I feel better now though....

Cheers,
tvtech

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back