Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Square wave with zero crossing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did think initially you had a -V supply on the existing circuit that could be used by the OPA, the CA3140 costs about 60pence GB.
We could use a 7660 for the -V as you suggest.

The point is adding this extra cost brings the total cost close to a MAX232 solution.
The only downside in using the MAX is that the output swing would be in the order of +/-9V.
You could reduce this to a lower voltage by using resistors and zeners.

Get the MAX232 datasheet and check to see if it would be suitable.

Hi,

Cost is not an issue. We are only making a few parts. Size is a much more important consideration. So the MAX23x chip with the internal caps is very attractive. Can I presume that the low signal (0V) from the PIC gets turned into -9V by the MAX23x and the high signal gets turned into +9V? If that's true, and it works over my range of frequencies, then that would be perfect. It would fit nicely as well.

I experimented with the RC filter circuit last night. With a 10uF cap and a 10K resistor, the pic was able to fire the load device just fine - but only at frequencies over about 2.5KHz. Below that, the signal was distorted or attenuated, although it was hard to tell on the scope. So although this is somewhat workable, it would be better if it worked down to a very low frequency.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Chris C.

Hi,

Cost is not an issue. We are only making a few parts. Size is a much more important consideration. So the MAX23x chip with the internal caps is very attractive. Can I presume that the low signal (0V) from the PIC gets turned into -9V by the MAX23x and the high signal gets turned into +9V? If that's true, and it works over my range of frequencies, then that would be perfect. It would fit nicely as well.
Thanks again for all of your help!

Chris C.

hi,
The MAX is an invertor, 0Vin gives +9Vout and +5Vin gives -9Vout.

Some types require 4 external caps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back