Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Square holes in plastic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Square holes in plastic? what is this? square holes in a plastic i don't get it what you are talking about this?sorry for damn question!?

Did you not learn shapes in school? Square as opposed to round... [] O
This thread is way old... Use a mill for best results. :eek:

Might try this -

Go to a good hardware store or hobby store. They usually have stand with a bunch of tiny brass/aluminum round and square tubes and sheets for hobby purposes.

You could likely find a [presumably you want smaller] square tube heat the end with a blow torch or even a lighter, and presto, instant square punch.

Fuper

Drilling square holes

If you have a drill press you can drill square holes using a mortise bit. This is basically a round drill bit surrounded by a square chisel housing. The drill clears the majority of the waist and the square chisel follows up to create the mortise (square hole). You can drill very quick and accurate. You would need a 7mm mortise bit and drill two side by side holes @ 20mm.

These bits will work on typical cross link or linear polys but not glass enforced plastics... (If you can drill and trim it with a razor knife_ok)

A drill press must be used with these bits!

Often used for fine woodworking.

**broken link removed**

If you can muster up $25,000 a Pulsed ND:YAG Laser will cut any hole shape you like. The cutout(s) will be more precise than the results from hand tools. Just remember to wear safety googles.

**broken link removed**

square holes

Now thats a good question!
Greenline punches generally dont work well in Plastic, (especially the soft plastic that they make project boxes out of) or in really thin metal.
I used to use a Nibbler, a item that fits into a small round hole, but nibbles out little square pieces. Its good, but man its slow. What has become a absolute neccessity in my toolbox is a dremel tool. Now with a bit of practice, I can cut absolutely perfect square holes in anything. Metal will require touch-up with a file, and plastic will require a nice sharp utility knife, especially to touch up corners, but it works perfectly. I spent years looking at perfect holes, in the perfect cases in the projects in Elementary Electronics, and wondered myself how to do it. Ive been making square holes since the 70's this way, so I have a hell of a lot of experience now. For a while Radio Shack offered a complete collection of items that were square-faced, but fit into round holes for ease of construction...but these went the way of the Dodo...and the way of the well-stocked Radio shack store.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back