Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Spring wire/bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sceadwian

Banned
This isn't quiet robotics related but seemed like the best category for my question. Does anyone know suppliers for spring wire/bar of a small dimension that has reasonable deliver/handling charges for hobby sized purchases?

If anyone has any confusion about what I'm asking for, it's very small sized stock, such as the same material of wire that wraps nylon popup gimicks such as the link listed bellow.
**broken link removed**

That's bar stock, I'm looking for wire as well of the same type of material but preferably with a wide selection. (if someone can name the exact metal composition of this type of material I'd appreciate it as well)

Isn't it just music wire (like that you can buy from RC hobby stores). Probably 0.032" diameter kind. Maybe 0.047". Definately less than 0.062".

Last edited:
The stuff in those popup discs isn't wire though, it's rectangular bar, which gives it spring properties primarily it one plane, and a pretty decent rigidity in the other. I have another unrelated thread going right now where someone commented that music wire and other types of spring steel are not really related, music wire gets it's properties from cold working and 'spring steel' gets it's properties from heat treating. I have no idea what kind of material this actually is.

Small parts Inc. has some spring wire, I honestly don't know exactly what you are looking for though.

YouTube - Folding Flyer
For a better example. I see this stuff everywhere now. One of my Nephews has a Bakugan (I'm sure I misspelled that) game that has a large 2 foot mat made the same way. I have a cat 'cube' that's 6 of them in the shape of a cube that fold up. It's pretty simple spring wire of some type stitched around simple nylon cloth. I'm really just trying to find out what type of wire it is.

By the way, if you have a cat, and don't have one of these things. Get it now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOjVzkspXKU
Just as a note, that's not me =) My cat is much better than that little amateur as well.

Last edited:
If it's spring steel it's usually black/blue where it was heat treated.

The "rectangular bar" you mentioned is probably flat spring steel, it has a rectangular cross section (being flat).

There's some good websites out there telling how to make your own springs.

The ring on the top of the image come in big sizes and can fold up **broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back