Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wire Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonM

Hi,

I am currently working on a home robotics project and I need some creative advice about wire management.

I got Five different wire type: 2 usb, one standard power and two Cat-5 cable. Since it is a moving platform, I want to control the length of the cable group. They can be individual or mounted/wrapped as a whole cable...We are talking about a max of 6 feet long here.

Here are the approach that I have looked at with the results:

-Spring return mechanism: What I found was way too big or expensive for my need.
- Coiled cable (telephone like): A little bit expensive for some type of cables and hard to find. Digikey or major distributor doesn't have anything to offer most of the time.

For my question, do you have idea or solutions to my problem? General concept, out of the box thinking, throw yourself loose at this one. Maybe, it will spark an idea!

Simon

Your specific situation is key to the solution without a better description or some photo's of your specific problem no one can help you.

What's "standard power"? 14 AWG SVT 300V rating for 120V power?

CAT5 is a controlled Z cord, 8 conductor, assume
USB is also controlled Z for 2 conductors. 2 conductors are larger for power. What's the max data rate? 480 Mb/s?

For standard power: yes 14 or 16 AWG.

CAT5 - Exactly

USB - Yes, but the data flow isn't astronomic, it is for a standard keyboard and mouse.

Currently, I am trying to find a cable winder. I will group all those wires together and then put them inside a spring cable winder. For now, my search were rather unsucessful.

To explain a little bit further what I try to do:

I have a robotic platform that is moving in a 6 feet radius. However, I don't want fixed wires that could cause the robot to trip when they are loose. I want the wire to be perfect fit everytime. At first, coiled cable seemed a good idea...and it is still valid. However coiled power cable cost a lot and I try to find a cheaper solution.

If you got further questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Thanks

Simon

Search for "flex usb cable", "flex power cable" and "Flex cat cable"

Why not go wireless USB to eliminate the USB cable or wireless for the CAT5.

Or how about....
Ethernet over power line - works. I had a pair.
Move the USB to Ethernet using a Silex serial server. I have one. About $90.

Now your only left with a flex power cord.

Thanks KISS,

Your idea sparked some other idea in my head and this is what I needed and actualy seeked.

Thanks to all of you!

My Ethernet over powerline isn't made anymore, but here is an example for $124. Linksys PowerLine AV EN Adapter Kit PLK300 Bridge - 4-port switch (integrated) - EN, Fast EN, HomePlug AV (HPAV)

The Silex adapter is really small.

In industrial processes it's necessary to have very flexible power cords because of all the repetative motion.

Since you have a limited range of motion an idea that comes to mind is a bar with about the length of mid way of your radius of motion that swings in a circle. Place some pulleys on the bar and place a counterweight with a pulley on the cord. So what hapens, is the counterweight takes up the slack.

If that won't work I canthink of a COMPLEX way of doing it. Linearly measure the cord and use a reel to adjust the amount out. If you know the position of the robot, you will know how much cord it needs with some droopand herefore there is no tension on the cord.

On a plasma table I built (36" * 65" cut area), I made a semi-flexible "lamppost" style hanger that pivots off one table corner. It ends about 4' above the center of the active area. I strapped the control cables & air feed to it, then allowed enough loop off the end to not influence the carriage head. It works well.

I'd be very wary of combining signal & power in the same cable. Unless forced to, it's expensive and problematic.
My most recent headache: 220 VAC 3 phase with 2-8 2hp motors being cycled And an RS-485 control bus at 115.2 bps. Factory floor location requires unified cable. Although shielded, the 485 pair sustains common mode pulses on motor start/stop. Suppressing & surviving them is proving interesting. Stay clear of that nonsense, if possible... <<<)))

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back