Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Spice trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinarfi

I like to build my own .asy and import .sub's from places like http://www.irf.com/product-info/models/SPICE/irf3205s.spi. I did this and tried to run it but I keep getting the can't find definition of error. I made a composite .png of all the pertinent screens. Can anyone suggest why it fails or what I'm doing wrong.
Thanks,
Kinarfi

Attachments

• IRF3205.png
    IRF3205.png
    225.7 KB · Views: 395
hi K,
Have you tried .include IRF3205.sub on your schematic.?

E

yes, also tried including the text of the sub in the ascc.

This works for me.

Attachments

• How to use an imported Spice Model in LTSpice.pdf
    8.5 KB · Views: 5,956
**broken link removed** **broken link removed**
I like to build my own .asy and import .sub's from places like http://www.irf.com/product-info/models/SPICE/irf3205s.spi. I did this and tried to run it but I keep getting the can't find definition of error. I made a composite .png of all the pertinent screens. Can anyone suggest why it fails or what I'm doing wrong.
Thanks,
Kinarfi

The attribute values are not correct.
1. When editing the symbol, use the Symbol Attribute editor. The values shown below are all you need.

2. To test the symbol, copy the .asy and .spi files to a folder, then copy the schematic to the same folder so they are all in the same folder.
Open the schematic and select the symbol from the component menu. See below. Run sim and test for error.

For this test, I downloaded the spice model from the link you posted

eT

Attachments

• SymAttr.png
    SymAttr.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 249
  • SelectSym.png
    SelectSym.png
    9 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
I finally got it, read the help, changed the prefix to x, saved the .asy but it was still messing up, then I saved the .asc and it worked. Now it works on all my designs. On occasion, when I can't get spice to fly right, I close the program and then reopen it and it will work, guess that makes me do the save which is probably what gets it working.
Any know where I can get the LTSpice MOS Tool or VDMOS tool? Yahoo groups doesn't seem to want to give it up, is that group still active or did yahoo dump the groups.

I finally got it, read the help, changed the prefix to x, saved the .asy but it was still messing up, then I saved the .asc and it worked. Now it works on all my designs. On occasion, when I can't get spice to fly right, I close the program and then reopen it and it will work, guess that makes me do the save which is probably what gets it working.
Any know where I can get the LTSpice MOS Tool or VDMOS tool? Yahoo groups doesn't seem to want to give it up, is that group still active or did yahoo dump the groups.

When you update a part, its normal in ltspice to have to close and reopen the program, to refresh the part in the schematic. Usually, I'll delete the part from the schematic, and re-add it after updating it.
Btw
Ltspice group is still very active

Another thing thing I found was that some of the .asy don't match what they represent. look at the 4N35 and the 4N25 in the google drive above. I redrew the 4N35 to match the real thing after I hooked up a 4N35 using the incorrect diagram that was the same as the 4N25 and blew the top off when I powered it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back