Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Speed Control of a A.C motor , single phase

Status
Not open for further replies.

samkitsethi

Hello Sir(s)
I am Samkit from India.
I am working on a project in which i want to regulate the speed of an A.C motor digitally.
Can you please help me , how can i do this?
Thank You
Samkit

You say AC machine?

What type:
Induction machine
Syncrounous machine

If it is a syncronous machine the speed of the rotor is directly influenced by the frequency of the stator field (ie the frequecy of the voltage applied to the winding terminals)

If it is a syncrouns machine then it isnt to hard. So some info abt the machine will be helpful

Type (Induction/Sycronous)
Number of poles
Power output
method used to "sense" rotor speed

Without critique , the most accepted way to control an AC motor is by controlling Frequency.
However what Styx said is true all the parameters matter and the more the information the better to solve your question.

I found this circuit.

Attachments

• motor_speed_cont.gif
    motor_speed_cont.gif
    4.9 KB · Views: 636
Ya that's called a chopper circuit, not good for exact control or the lifetime of the motor , but it will work.

If you put a NP 30-100uf @330 Vac cap across the AC socket, the motor woulnt get as angry( hot)as the inductive properties of the moters windings and the cap become a smoothing filter.

As you have told you are from INDIA, so i think you can easily get a copy of "Electronics For You" magazine. refer the November'2003 issue, it's having construction project : "Proportional Load control using PC", pg52.

Amit Garg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back