Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Speaking of stun guns...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roff

Maybe you guys have some ideas that are not quite so cruel as mine.
I live on a corner lot in a nice subdivision. I have a landscaped berm on the corner, between the lawn and the sidewalk. It has become a favorite spot for neighborhood dogs - some on leashes - to pee.
I have been thinking of burying a "stun gun" (more like a dazer) under one of their target bushes. I really wish I could get their owners, because the dogs are just doing what dogs do best. Even shocking the dogs, though, I'm afraid would bring on a lawsuit. I have tried dog repellent (it also repels me), but it gets washed away by the sprinklers.
Anybody have any other ideas, electronic or otherwise? I wonder if ultrasonic would work? I bought a couple of ultrasonic "cat repellers" several years ago to keep the cats off my patio furniture, but they just peed on them, believe it or not. Anyhow, the trouble with ultrasonic is, the speakers are difficult to hide. I imagine the neighborhood kids would take them or vandalize them.

Mythbusters once investigated the claims of men being electrocuted from urinating on the electrified third rail of a subway.

Their conclusion was that a stream of liquid quickly breaks up into droplets, which are electrically isolated from each other. It certainly would reduce the breakdown potential versus free air now that there's less linear distance of air between source and body but still not enough to induce breakdown under the voltages involved.

Now they also tested the "whizzing on an electric fence" issue and found that if the distance is short enough a solid stream can in fact act as a conductor and knock the bejeezus out of your cahones.

A dog might be different, the stream travels a lesser distance thus there is some chance it would still be in a solid stream when it hits the electrode.

But as usual I immediately jump on the technical aspects while ignoring the "is this a good idea?" test. I'm against electrocuting dogs. What's so bad about dogs peeing on stuff? Everything a few feet from the street gets peed on all the time and usually isn't any worse for wear.

Ron,

I bought a unit, but you can build one. It looked like a hair dryer and it emitted 20+ Khz audio (I could not hear it). I would fire it in the house and my dogs would look like a storm was coming and go in another room.

Late at night dogs 200-300 feet away from my house (I have a big yard) bark on and off. I would fire it out of my bedroom window and they stopped for a maybe an hour or so at a time, they did not like it. This way you can let them know that bush is bad. People use them on bikes to ride around and keep dogs away.

The high frequency did not hurt them, it just turned them off (or away).

Just amp it a little but not much to cover a small range.

(this is a joke) Or the PIR to pepper spray release method. No that brings the law again since the neightbor is rolling in your front yard and people are calling the law about it..

But you could PIR the high frequency device and the dog walks up and spooks and no longer has to do the duty at that time.

mramos1 said:
(this is a joke) Or the PIR to pepper spray release method. No that brings the law again since the neightbor is rolling in your front yard and people are calling the law about it..

But you could PIR the high frequency device and the dog walks up and spooks and no longer has to do the duty at that time.

There are dog collars that, instead of shocking, spray out of a little cartridge of citronella. Apparently dogs hate that stuff. This might be effective.

Hmm, ultrasonics might do something too.

Oznog said:
There are dog collars that, instead of shocking, spray out of a little cartridge of citronella. Apparently dogs hate that stuff. This might be effective.
Woof, woof, bark bark!!
I hate the stuff too. :lol:

Oznog said:
Mythbusters once investigated the claims of men being electrocuted from urinating on the electrified third rail of a subway.

Their conclusion was that a stream of liquid quickly breaks up into droplets, which are electrically isolated from each other. It certainly would reduce the breakdown potential versus free air now that there's less linear distance of air between source and body but still not enough to induce breakdown under the voltages involved.

Now they also tested the "whizzing on an electric fence" issue and found that if the distance is short enough a solid stream can in fact act as a conductor and knock the bejeezus out of your cahones.

A dog might be different, the stream travels a lesser distance thus there is some chance it would still be in a solid stream when it hits the electrode.

But as usual I immediately jump on the technical aspects while ignoring the "is this a good idea?" test. I'm against electrocuting dogs. What's so bad about dogs peeing on stuff? Everything a few feet from the street gets peed on all the time and usually isn't any worse for wear.
Oznog, I'm also against electrocuting dogs. I didn't mean kill them. I was thinking of what would be a very brief shock (the dog's reflexes would see to that).
What's wrong with the dogs peeing on my landscaping are:
1. My wife hates it (need I say more?). :roll: She thinks it is rude and thoughtless on the part of the dogs' owners. We do have a leash law here.
2. We dig in the soil where the dogs have peed. Maybe that doesn't bother you guys, and I could live with it, but again, there's my wife...
3. Last year the dog pee nearly killed one of my English Lavenders.

I think you guys have offered some good alternatives. I do have a bedroom window about 30 feet from the berm. Maybe that would be close enough for the ultrasonic thingie to be effective.
The citronella is also a pretty good idea, but my sensor would need to discriminate between a non-peeing human and a peeing anything. :D

Thanks guys,
Ron

Don't think you'de have much luck the with shocking anyway. Droplet thoery,

In all honesty, I'de recommend the above-audible sonic super weapon. Dogs do hate that crap.

For fun though, you could leave a dog skeleton on edge of the lawn...... Now, no one SAW you do it, but you obviously catpure and eat dogs. People keep theirs away, Problem Solved.

iso9001 said:
Don't think you'de have much luck the with shocking anyway. Droplet thoery,

In all honesty, I'de recommend the above-audible sonic super weapon. Dogs do hate that crap.

For fun though, you could leave a dog skeleton on edge of the lawn...... Now, no one SAW you do it, but you obviously catpure and eat dogs. People keep theirs away, Problem Solved.
:lol: :lol:

Ron H said:
Maybe you guys have some ideas that are not quite so cruel as mine.
I live on a corner lot in a nice subdivision. I have a landscaped berm on the corner, between the lawn and the sidewalk. It has become a favorite spot for neighborhood dogs - some on leashes - to pee.
I have been thinking of burying a "stun gun" (more like a dazer) under one of their target bushes. I really wish I could get their owners, because the dogs are just doing what dogs do best. Even shocking the dogs, though, I'm afraid would bring on a lawsuit. I have tried dog repellent (it also repels me), but it gets washed away by the sprinklers.
Anybody have any other ideas, electronic or otherwise? I wonder if ultrasonic would work? I bought a couple of ultrasonic "cat repellers" several years ago to keep the cats off my patio furniture, but they just peed on them, believe it or not. Anyhow, the trouble with ultrasonic is, the speakers are difficult to hide. I imagine the neighborhood kids would take them or vandalize them.

Check the regulations for your city. In some, I think within city limits, the "Berm" is considered city property (do they need your permission to plant trees, cut them down etc..?) and thus creates an argument for the dog owners that they are not destroying your property.

Since, it is far more likely that it is your property, how about a small sign?
If it is your property, A "keep off grass" sign makes the dogs and owners trespassers should they stop for a bathroom break.

I think some elctronic widget hidden in the bushes (LOL!) is asking for legal trouble. What guarantee is there that it doesnt shock a small child or the owner or other passerby?

Alternative, talk to the owners when you see them. If you are crafty, you can convince them in a very polite manmer that this is a berm that they should not be stoppping at. I bet 90% of the offenders are the same owners / dogs.

Avoid the problem: Put mulch under the shrubs so that dog urine has nothing to kill or some similar.

Rather than make your front lawn less appealing to the local dogs,
could not somewhere else be made more attractive.

Failing that this gadget would provide an excellent enclosure for a "shock box"...

Doggie Dooley Dog Toilet Model 3500

Attachments

• 3500_1.jpg
    3500_1.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 540
Ron H.

The sonic gun does the job, and it works like I said. I loaned it out and it never came back. If I had it I would mail it to you. Maybe I will ask the guy tomorrow at work.

It would be fun to watch them walk up and you crack a window and ZAP... Your will see the ears go up and they move along. Sounds like the wife would enjoy it more though.

I will see if he still has it.

mramos1 said:
Ron H.

The sonic gun does the job, and it works like I said. I loaned it out and it never came back. If I had it I would mail it to you. Maybe I will ask the guy tomorrow at work.

It would be fun to watch them walk up and you crack a window and ZAP... Your will see the ears go up and they move along. Sounds like the wife would enjoy it more though.

I will see if he still has it.
Wow! :shock:

audioguru said:
Woof, woof, bark bark!!
Well Ron, What do you say about his answer?

Ron, that question you ask is very good.
I might not have the best answer, but there are two things I can suggest:

1. Put up a fence about 1/2 your height at the point where the grass and the sidewalk meet, that way, nothing can walk on your grass without tripping first.

2. If #1 doesn't work, then put up a notice that states "No dogs allowed on property. We cannot be responsible for lost dogs." or something similar. Now you can try to ue a dog shocker method, just because no one obeyed your sign. Had your sign not been there, the dog owner will have a better chance of winning.

If the dog owner sues you, and the sign is there, take a picture of it in front of your house, so that if you must go to court, you can use that as evidence that the owner is just being a jerk.

It's like going through a "do not enter" path.

this exact problem was shown on an australian science/entertainment show called "clever". Essentially, what they found was the most repelling for dogs was lemon peels. Perhaps lemon juice would achieve a similar effect.

Perhaps lemon juice would achieve a similar effect.

Falmeshon's method should work, I did not mention because I could not recall the scent and what animal. I live in the woods, we have cats, dogs, raccoons, so on, snakes... Always trying to get rid on something.

I was not sure if lemons, peperment, cyanne pepper.. But I know cats do not like one of them. I put duct tape upside down on my corvette t-tops to keep my cat off it, plenty of other cars to climb on and much higher.

Also, Ron H. The ZAP is sound, not a shock, and no one but the dog hears it.

I don’t think that he should have to change his yard the owners of the dogs should be respectful enough not to let there dogs pee in his yard. Ultra Sonics do work but if he has his own dogs that he doesn’t want to affect that might not be the best option. and the pepper does work on cats but I tried to use it to keep my dog out of the garden it doesn’t effect the dogs feet like it does cats but that could be just because my dog is VERY stubborn and nothing seems to work on him. However when he sniffed the pepper and got it in his nose he did stop digging until it blew off or the rain washed it off. I have never heard of the lemon juice but I guess it could work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back