Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Speakers/Capacitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonathand1000

Hi,
I've noticed that in some (digital) loudspeaker drive circuits there is a capacitor placed before the loudspeaker. What is the purpose of this? Is it to make the square wave more sinusoidal?

Thanx alot,
Jon

Its mostly used to keep DC away from the speaker.
The capacitor will let AC (music) pass, but will form a barrier for DC

(digital) loudspeaker drive circuits ?

Caps can act as filters to filter unwanted frequencies.
You dont want low frequency to go to a tweeter, so, filter some of the low frequency out.

You want high frequencies going to a subwoofer, so filter some of the high frequencies out.

Use the chart below to sellect coil/capacitor for 6 db frequency reduction.

Attachments

• xoverchart7.jpg
    xoverchart7.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 656
Re:

Ah, thanks alot, I see now...that's cleared up something I've been in the dark on for a while. Just shows how much of a newbie I am I suppose! :oops:

Anyway thanks,
Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back