Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Spanish translation needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilimike

I need to request some technical information and I am not sure Google translation is proper since it is technical terms. I want to translate

Static IP address
Gateway IP Address
Subnet Mask IP Address

Google is giving me:

Dirección IP estática
Puerta de entrada de direcciones IP
Máscara de subred de direcciones IP

Is that right?

Thanks

Mike

Technical terms of that nature are usually NOT translated as far as I know, you're asking Google to translate a whole sentence not technical terms, it's adding common language intermediaries which aren't used in technical terms. Try translating each word individually.

estática IP dirección
entrada IP dirección
subred máscara dirección

That's how I would interpret it. Spanish grammar is overridden by technical use, much the same as English grammar is.

@lilimike: if you reverse translate it on Google translator, that is from Spanish to English, then you will find all are correctly translated.. but if you translate what sceadwian has told, it tells following:
estática IP dirección --> static IP address
entrada IP dirección --> IP address entry
subred máscara dirección --> subnet mask address

now you can decide if this is what you want to send....

I had sent my request before I got Sceadwian's response so I went with what Google gave me. I figured if it is not perfect the person at the other end would probably smile and then understand what I meant.

Thank you both for your suggestions,

Mike

I had sent my request before I got Sceadwian's response so I went with what Google gave me. I figured if it is not perfect the person at the other end would probably smile and then understand what I meant.

Thank you both for your suggestions,

Mike

That was most likely correct. Word ordering is not the same as in english, thus one cannot translate word for word. Not an expert, but I believe you have it right.

Go to www.cheatingtranslator.com/bad-translator and run it through their 20 translations and it comes back the same as the internet is American English (you can check each translation cycle)
I typed in something like "I changed the oil in my car" and after 10 iterations it came back with something like "my motor is in the living room". Very funny yet educational. Have fun. E

Means I'm perhaps not the best person for translation advice <smirk>
Note however the term IP wasn't translated. Or they'd all have been turned into PI's =) Then no one would understand it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back