Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Source for 30 AWG stranded small quantity

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_C

I need to make up several cables using this connector:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=455-2186-ND

The connector's datasheet calls for 30 AWG 7 strand. I've only been able to find the wire in large quantities. Does anyone have an idea for a source for 30 AWG stranded in small rolls of say 25 or 50 feet? I've used some 30 AWG solid wrapping wire from Radio Shack, but I'm afraid the solid conductor will break over time and I'd like the tiny cable to be a bit more flexible. Is there any other common multi-conductor wire that uses stranded 30 AWG that I can dissect for the 30 AWG? Thanks for any ideas.

I need to make up several cables using this connector:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=455-2186-ND

The connector's datasheet calls for 30 AWG 7 strand. I've only been able to find the wire in large quantities. Does anyone have an idea for a source for 30 AWG stranded in small rolls of say 25 or 50 feet? I've used some 30 AWG solid wrapping wire from Radio Shack, but I'm afraid the solid conductor will break over time and I'd like the tiny cable to be a bit more flexible. Is there any other common multi-conductor wire that uses stranded 30 AWG that I can dissect for the 30 AWG? Thanks for any ideas.

Oh boy! Your having fun aren't you? Man, stay away from Digi-key and especially Radio Shack if you don't want to pay through the nose.

What you want to do is call as many distributors as you can from your internet searches. Just go to bottom of the main page and look for "contact" information. They usually have a 1-800 number. Then ask for samples. Believe me. If you talk them right and they smell a possible sale, they will be more than happy to send you free samples.

Coastwire is a pretty good one. Ask for Dilip Patel. I used them when I needed rubber coated wire but I think they sell plastic too.

You can get all kinds of cable including coax of every variety from Belden. There are quite a few. Just try to get samples for now until you decide what you want.

Just noticed your Signature m8, cheers for the Circuit board how-to! I was just sent 10 press-n-peel blues, have you ever used them? Do you think yours is the best method for nice fine details? Also any sources for the film you used would be fantastic. Enough of the questions..haha

Cheers,
-BaC

EDIT: I should have read more of it before asking questions. The sources statement is still valid..hehe
Is the postscript mac only on those fantastic printers you talk about..hehe I use Linux and if there is postscript I am sure I can even create a way to talk to it...Cheers again.
I could not see it in less the 100 foot spools.

Jameco has good prices on wire but only goes down to 28 gauage. $14 for 100' 7/34.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips. I had not considered the free sample route. I did not know Digi-key has a reputation for high prices. Their prices seem comparable to Mouser. I am aware of Radio Shack's prices but I haven't found anything more affordable than their plastic project boxes.

Digikey has high prices for wire (not usually other components). As much as double the price of Mouser. I found that a few months AFTER i bought a bunch of wire. I basically paid double (AFTER currency conversions).

Last edited:
Why can't you just use 28 awg flat ribbon cable?
I made these up all the time-and use a flat blade screwdriver to press the wire to the connector

Why can't you just use 28 awg flat ribbon cable?
I made these up all the time-and use a flat blade screwdriver to press the wire to the connector

That's a good idea. I'm using a molex connector on the other end of the cable but I could separate the 5 conductors in the ribbon enough to crimp the connectors. I don't know the gauge but the only ribbon cable I have in my junk box measures 6mm across five conductors and the connector is only 5mm (1mm per wire). I'll try separating the conductors and shaving a little ribbon insulation and see if I can make them fit. Does a 28 awg ribbon cable measure less than 6mm across 5 conductors?

Last edited:
I have 5 conductor 28 awg ribbon cable and I see 6 mm across exact.
You work with what you have, is cheap and what works.
If you want the exact thing and don't have it it can become expensive and time-consuming.

Also, those freebie test samples from Digi-Key, Mouser, Allied, Newark and others are not like they used to be. They are wise to the people just out for the free samples, now they want to create a "file" on you. Some require a company e-mail address and not one from Yahoo-others actually make you pay for the samples and shipping or just pay for the shipping and handling which is expensive. One time I sent for a sample component and then had a salesman show up at my house to drop off the company's "line card" and say "hello".

Right now, it looks like I just may stick with the 30 awg solid wire that I got from Radio Shack for $4 for 50 feet.

I have some similar connectors that use 22 guage stranded wire. I took one apart to see if 22 guage solid wire would fit in the slot. It would not. These type of connectors are insulation displacement connectors(IDC). As the insulated wire is pressed into the contact the contact edges cuts thru the insulation and makes contact with the strands of wire. They seem to be displaced and slide into the grove of the contacts.
I think trying the 28 guage stranded wire would be a better option than using the 28 guage solid wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back