Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

sound fx + amp IC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danjel

I opened up this $6 Fisher Price toy monkey that makes monkey sounds when you press a button.

Inside was a small speaker, 3 pill batteries and a tiny pcb with a single resistor, cap and some sort of IC under a blob of black stuff.

I assume the IC has an integrated amp and sound fx engine.

I want to make my own joke toy for an art project and I was wondering where I can find a simmilar kind of super cheap IC? Maybe one I can program my own sounds into? If not, anything that comes with some kid like sounds would be good.

Any tips appreciated!

Those type's of products are dirt cheap because the wafer of the IC is deposited directly onto the PCB and the black blob is placed on top of it to hold it in place and protect it. Much cheaper than putting it into a packaged and wiring leads to it. At the factory they just change one part of the IC's ROM mask to have it make a different sound.

There are plenty of simple record and playback IC's out there, search the forums here and you should find several threads that have them.

you can get digital recorder toys that may do what you want. For $4.80, you can get a recorder that plays back when it detects movement: **broken link removed**

Last year I saw some Halloween toys that record your voice. They were dirt cheap the day after Halloween.

If I wanted to make 1000 of these I guess I would need to talk to a manufacturer in China to buy the guts of a toy like this and then adapt it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back