Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sound Activation Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbbad

My dog howls when he's left alone. I want to build an alarm that will detect his howling, he's loud so it shouldn't be hard, and play back a couple of seconds of my voice. I'm guessing a electret mic and a recording module (my local radio shack has both, will do the trick, but I don't know how to connect it.
Does anyone know where I can find a project I can modify? Or even just a diagram?

Get another dog to keep him company. :)

Hound Activation

A companion is in the works, but won't happen until July. Besides if Kobe is still howling, he might just teach the new puppy to howl too. Then I'll need to do this in stereo.

The old tape recorder idea is interesting, but I thought the radio shack recording module would simplify everything. For $10 it will record 20 seconds of my voice and play it back in response to a simple switch.
Capturing sound through a mic is also easy, but how to use it as a switch? I don't want it to respond to every noise in the room, just sounds over a certain level and sustained for more than a couple of seconds. Having written that last sentence, I'm thinking this needs a micro-controller.
Thanks for any help or encouragement

Last edited:
It seems to me, if he hears your voice every time he howls, it will encourage him to howl.

My first idea is a mic-preamp-555 timer-transistor switch or relay-RS module.
Timer set long enough to play message.

Use the old voice-activated tape recorder from a junk shop to activate the digital recorder. Pick off the motor terminals to power the digital recorder.

Would analysing the dogs howl to determine what frequencies it approximately it carries and then create a band pass filter with appropiate gain to a comparator work ?

The comparator could be connected to a logic gate or flip flop or whatever.

To complicated ? To hard ? Sounds like fun though, now I wish my dog would howl when I'm gone. Since im wishing for things, I should probably wish for a dog :/

I like the idea of getting another dog better =)

Trade in the "hound" that howls for a real dog that doesn't howl.
My "real" dog does not howl.

Tape recorder isn't going to work and neither will getting a second dog. The dog isn't lonely, (s)he has separation anxiety. The dog will have to be trained to understand that its OK to be alone, or exercised enough to make him want to stay home and sleep when you leave instead of wishing he was with you.

shock collar. Give him something to howl about!

Somebody has watched "The Dog Whisperer" :)

I've watched many of the shows. I found them very interesting.
You too, Noggin?

Hi bbbad,

just follow the advice I gave you in another forum about the same problem. :D

Howling and barking dogs just lack education which they should obtain from their master. :)

Boncuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back