Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sony XO-5 stereo deck receiver does not power on

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMaia

I have and old Sony XO-5 (think this model was manufactured between 1981 till 1984) that finally stopped working a few days ago. I used it connected to my flat screen TV 3.5mm jack to the receiver RCA'S (better sound than the TV speakers).

The unit does not power on, but there's a twist. It was bought on Venezuela when my parents were living there, so the equipment is 110 V outlet. A few years later they returned to Portugal, where the power is 220 V, so a power converter was needed. I'm thinking that maybe it was the converter that's damaged, I wonder if there is a way to test it, maybe using a multimeter? Photos below.

I opened the receiver, hoping to check that maybe the fuse could be damaged. But unfortunately the fuse is soldered, so there is no easy way to remove it to test it with a multimeter, I would have to desolder it and I'm not very proficient with a solder iron. So I was hoping to test the power converter first. Further photos below of the receiver itself:

If the fuse reads any resistance other than one ohm it is bad, no need to remove it. It should read as short if good. Plug a table lamp (Incandescent) into converter if a 220 volt lamp lights at half brightness then converter is probably ok.

I managed to find what was faulty. The internal wires of the outlet ac plug were disconnected, I screwed them in again and everything is working fine now, thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back