Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sony CD player not tracking properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobW

I have an old Sony stereo system. Everything except the CD player works fine.

The CD player has a problem with the laser tracking assembly. It works okay for a while but then starts skipping. If I use the forward and reverse track skip buttons to work the tracking back and forth a few times, it seems to fix the problem for a while. So I think it's nothing more than the drive needing some cleaning and lubrication. Wondering what I should use for this.

Sewing machine oil on the sliders should be fine, though I generally use a TINY!! drop of WD40 on them, although you probably need to replace entire laser optical assembly - it's not likely to be down to lubrication.

One thing you can try is to clean the optics. Over the years they can build up a thin film which is quite hard to remove. I normally use IPA and a medium stiff artists brush.

spec

Seems to me that I tried cleaning the optics not too long ago, but I may be thinking of a different CD player. The unit in question is away at the summer cottage, so I won't be able to get at it until the next time I'm out there, which will be a few days.

If it turns out that the laser optical assembly is bad, where does one find a replacement?
I'm wondering if audio CD drives are interchangeable the same way that CD data drives are. If so, the simplest solution might be to replace the entire drive part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back