Sonic ranging experiment on small scale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr RB

Hi, I had a bag of matching cheapo electret microphone inserts, and did an experiment on small scale sonic ranging.

This uses 2 or more mic's to detect where a surface has been "tapped", ie; detects and locates a sonic event.

Maybe this could be used for special keypads or musical instruments or some other fun application.

Here's a photo and 'scope capture of the test setup;

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

And for anyone interested in small scale sonic ranging using cheapo hobby level technology the full experiment is here;
https://romanblack.com/SonicRanging/Sonic_Ranging.htm

That is called "Differential Time Of Arrival" (DTOA). And the localization method is called trilateration, not triangulation. Helps with googling if you get your terms right.

We did a robot localization system using three beacons around the area and one in the robot. The robot sent a pulse and the beacons responded to that. The robot could localize itself by listening the responses. You would need three microphones (or beacons) to locate the sound source on a plane. With two microphones you get a line (hyperbola) where the sound source might be. If you want I can post the math for intersection of two hyperbolas.. If I find my notes. The solution comes down to few (~10) multiplications and divisions (~2) and finally solving an intersection of two lines.

Last edited:
That is called "Differential Time Of Arrival" (DTOA). And the localization method is called trilateration, not triangulation. Helps with googling if you get your terms right.

Thanks. I had no problems googling for "sonic triangulation".

Cool! Maybe your project was one of the uni projects I found in my google searches? There are quite a few projects out there for robot and gunshot event localising etc, but I didn't see much for small scale localising ie keyboard type stuff.

Re the math I already have a ton of stuff on the traditional way of doing it, I'm more interested in solutions that DON'T require the hyperbolic math, and a few present themselves if the mic's and sound sources are in fixed positions on a 2D plane.

The hyperbola solution becomes less and less accurate when the distance between the target and sensors is reduced. After all you are working on a curve that approaches a line.

I find the "autolocalization" idea very interesting. Could you post?

I find the "autolocalization" idea very interesting. Could you post?

This was for Eurobot competition. The play area is about 3 meter by 2 meters and there are two robots playing at a time. Both players can install 3 beacons on the side of the table, 1 beacon on the opponent robot, and one beacon to their own robot. We built a system that can locate the opponent robot and our own robot. Here is the "paper" I wrote. It does not explain the system very thoroughly (it is a Mathematica worksheet) and I won't re-write it just for this.. you can ask questions though. I try to answer.

Attachments

• Hyperbolic Position Location on Eurobot table rev D.pdf
    193.3 KB · Views: 238
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…