Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Some info on AVRs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been trying to download a couple different Amtel Data Sheets as well as the Instruction Set Summary document for several days now with "no joy". Anyone else experience that problem? I'm using FireFox browser.

Regards, Mike

PDF's working fine here...

btw, here's a good pic vs avr 'comparison' link. I stumbled in to the avr camp and quite happy to remain here as I've invested a bit into development tools, but I would suggest both have good and bad points and most likely either could be used in a project.

https://www.electricstuff.co.uk/picvsavr.html

Still "no joy" trying to download specific Amtel 'pdf' files. I thought it might be my FireFox browser but IE has the same problem. Their server stops sending the file after quite some while.

Here's the ATtiny2313 doc I'm trying to download; https://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/doc2543.pdf

They've got to be having some kind of a problem. Everything else I've downloaded from other locations these last few days works fine.

Kind regards, Mike

Also wanted to ask if you Gentlemen have played with the $20 Butterfly board? Seems like quite a 'bargain' with bootloader, LCD screen, serial port, navigation keyswitches, and more.

Regards, Mike

I haven't gotten start with microcontrollers yet, still shopping. Started looking at the AVRs last week, and got a little interested. There are 118 opcodes, opposed to the PIC's 32. Compilers tend to waste a lot of memory, and I'm already familiar with assembly. I haven't been able to download the instruction set summary yet, but want to take a look. Also need to check into programmers, and what external components are need to use an AVR, compared to a PIC. The PIC's 32 opcodes doesn't sit too well, seems like I would spend a lot of time trying figure out how to get the functions I want out of it. But hey, there is plenty of room for code, and a compiler would do most of the work (joking of course).

Hi Harvey,

If you're considering the PIC you might want to check out a decent tutorial here; Elmer 160 Tutorial. It's reasonably comprehensive with emphasis on learning to do things "the right way" and the lessons are pdf files that you can download and take with you.

I can't recommend anything for the Amtel AVR devices as I'm still trying to simply download their data sheets (argh!!!).

Take care. Regards, Mike

Hi Mike,

Never has any troubles downloading any datasheets from Atmel site. I just tried the link you've posted above and it also downloaded immediately.

I'm also using FireFox.

Can anyone also try and reply?

eblc1388 said:
Hi Mike,

Never has any troubles downloading any datasheets from Atmel site. I just tried the link you've posted above and it also downloaded immediately.

I'm also using FireFox.

Can anyone also try and reply?

Just tried with IE6 and it loaded straight away.

Mike,

I have the butterfly. It is neat for the price, and there is a program called avrdude that I use to download to it with a serial cable I made... Also, on the AVR, there is http://www.avrbeginners.net/ that look like a good start.

I like the AVR chips a lot. They work well. Just doing the PIC thing for now. Always have to look at both side :)

Mike said:
Also wanted to ask if you Gentlemen have played with the $20 Butterfly board? Seems like quite a 'bargain' with bootloader, LCD screen, serial port, navigation keyswitches, and more.

Regards, Mike

I do have one floating around here, but I haven't done anything in-depth with it. One of the guys I work with did use one as an portable serial interface to help debug one of our projects. (It beats using a laptop as serial terminal when trying to debug a small handheld RF device).

HarveyH42 said:
I haven't gotten start with microcontrollers yet, still shopping.

Having ventured into both AVR and PIC, I would recommend PIC instead of AVR for you if you have not been using any.

Both have their share of limitations but you will face less problems using PIC.

Don't be misled into thinking that an AVR is neccssarily better with 100+ instructions. There are so many partly because of the memory organising of the AVR.

If like 99% of programs that waits/checks for something to occur and handle the event, then both AVR or PIC will do just fine. In fact, I'm of opinion that the code of PIC is more compact than AVR, because PIC has a very good and efficient instruction set.

However, if absolute speed is essential (i.e. an extra NOP is too much), then AVR is a must. So far I have only met two type of operations (DDS and USB direct decoding) that calls for such speed.

eblc1388 said:
However, if absolute speed is essential (i.e. an extra NOP is too much), then AVR is a must. So far I have only met two type of operations (DDS and USB direct decoding) that calls for such speed.

Or use an 18F series PIC?, they run at similar speeds to AVR's - for DDS the dsPIC would probably be a better solution than an AVR anyway?, or an 18F with hardware USB support would be far better than attempting it in software.

It's really personal choice - if you've already got one, and know a little about it, then stick to that - neither is 'better', both have advantages and disadvantages, depending what you want to do. It's very true though that speed is very, very rarely a concern!.

Could I impose on some kind soul to send me the following 2-MByte file as an email attachment? Just one person please, or my email account might be rendered useless for a month with a bunch of 2-MByte emails (grin).

Here's the ATtiny2313 doc' I'm trying to download; https://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/doc2543.pdf

email: now removed

Thanks Gentlemen. Kind regards, Mike[/quote]

Last edited:
Wow! I downloaded the data sheet, and just looked over the instruction set. Now this is more like what I wanted. Now just need to check out programmers and what sort of support components this microcontroller requires. Haven't read through the whole document, 267 pages. But it looks good.

Atmel download problem update.

Well guys, I'm still having problems with just their (Atmel) site. Perhaps something in the path. It's the only site I have problems with too as I just downloaded the 45.4-MByte Russian version of AVR Studio from the www.atmel.ru site without problem.

Man, I don't know what to do now.

Regards, Mike

Looks like maybe a DNS problem, can you point your DNS to another ISP?

OR in your web borswer, type **broken link removed** and see if it comes
right up. If so, drop to DOS and do ipconfig/flushdns over and over (15 times) to try to flush it. You can hit up arrow ENTER over and over.. That might fix it.

The site comes up quickly using the IP address.

I'll try flushing the DNS cache as you suggest and let you know.

Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate the help.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back