Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

some basic questions about microcontrollers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite a few microcontrollers can either optionally run with a "narrower" external data bus, or have different versions with different external data bus widths.

More correctly 'micro-processors', it's pretty rare for a micro-controller to have an external data bus.

As you pointed out, the 68000 was a classic example - as I recall the Sinclair computer (who's name escapes me?) used the 8 bit version, and the Commodore Amiga used the 16 bit version.

The data bus is like a road connecting different parts of an MCU
To add confusion, some computers have both data and instructions on the same bus. Some have data and instructions on separate busses.

I uses the 8085 for a while. To save pins they combined data and address busses. There is a pin that signaled "A" or "D".

the Sinclair computer (who's name escapes me?) used the 8 bit version
th

Z80 cpu

Ron, that's the ZX81. After that was released the ZX Spectrum also Z80 based and then the QL(Quantum Leap) was released which had a 68000 in it - I think it was actually a 68008. I'm starting to get vague memories of working on a QL!!

Mike.

Ron, that's the ZX81. After that was released the ZX Spectrum also Z80 based and then the QL(Quantum Leap) was released which had a 68000 in it - I think it was actually a 68008. I'm starting to get vague memories of working on a QL!!

Yes, the QL was a 68008, with the 8 bit external bus - never seen one though.

That would have been the QL (Quantum Leap). Never touched one but remember it.
Got one of those as well!!! ( a bit turd really )

You HAD to use the micro drives.... worst media ever!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back