Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solid polymer capacitor markings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisK15

Hi, I've been trying to figure out what the different colors on solid polymer aluminum capacitors mean. They're on new motherboards and video cards, and some have many colors on the same board, but are in clusters of the same color. The color is in a crescent shape on the edge of the metal can. Any ideas? Thanks

Hi, I've been trying to figure out what the different colors on solid polymer aluminum capacitors mean. They're on new motherboards and video cards, and some have many colors on the same board, but are in clusters of the same color. The color is in a crescent shape on the edge of the metal can. Any ideas? Thanks

hi,:)
Theres lost on the web, just Google capacitor colour codes

example:
**broken link removed**

I was talking about these:
**broken link removed**
They only have one color and I'm pretty sure it's not voltage or tolerance.

I was talking about these:

They only have one color and I'm pretty sure it's not voltage or tolerance.

hi chris,
See what you mean.
It looks as though the voltage is already printed on the top. 4V and 6.3V.

If I find anything, I'll let you know.

i don't think the color means somethnig more than it means on the usual electrolics... after all most infos are printed on them. :)

hi Chris,
The only thing that comes to mind is the polarity, its marked in same colour as the text. For correct orientation only I would say.:)

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. What do the colors mean on traditional electrolytic capacitors? I've seen blue, red, pink, green, purple, and black colors on these, but only blue, red, and black on regular electrolytics. Also, some motherboards seem to use different combinations of these in clusters, either all one color throughout the board, or red around the CPU area and blue somewhere else, or things like that.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. What do the colors mean on traditional electrolytic capacitors? I've seen blue, red, pink, green, purple, and black colors on these, but only blue, red, and black on regular electrolytics.

sometimes colors can indicate specific capacitor model also if it is RoHS compliant or not.

So could they just be branding? I see on those capacitors in the picture that the blue ones and the purple ones have differently applied coloring; the blue one isn't as hard-edged as the purple and has a different font.

So could they just be branding? I see on those capacitors in the picture that the blue ones and the purple ones have differently applied coloring; the blue one isn't as hard-edged as the purple and has a different font.

the purple ones are the sanyo SEPC series...

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back