Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Soldering woes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDEB

I was soldering some SMD componets recently and the solder was balling up like gum. The solder has flux in it and have used same for numerious boards with no problems. I use a Quick Chip soldering flux.
I inserted a new Hakko tip and adjusted the temp using a Hakko temp meter and all is good.
Soldering has greatly improved since a new tip was used. I guess tips can go south as well.

I was soldering some SMD componets recently and the solder was balling up like gum. The solder has flux in it and have used same for numerious boards with no problems. I use a Quick Chip soldering flux.
I inserted a new Hakko tip and adjusted the temp using a Hakko temp meter and all is good.
Soldering has greatly improved since a new tip was used. I guess tips can go south as well.
I have 8 years old a tip, its not good as new but i can solder what ever i wants... Just clean tip, before soldering... But i use only 1206 SMD parts if its possible.

The steel plated ones can hollow out once the plating wears through.

Solder dissolves copper slightly and it gradually just erodes the inside copper away once it can get inside, leaving an empty area that does not conduct heat well.

I use a metal scrubing wad that came with the iron. I recently purchased some tinning compound along with the tip.
It cleans the tip very well. I wonder if using flux degrades the tip coating?

using solder w/ inner core of flux and CHIP QUICK flux from syringe. ALSO TRIED LIQUID FLUX BUT LIKE THE JELLY BETTER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back