Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Soldering station repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrusaderTM

Hello, I recently got a Soldering station to help me with my projects, but it does not work.
I lost the receipt so I can't return it (already tried)
I decided to disassemble it to try and fix the issue.
I get a voltage reading where the power goes into the circuit (220 volt 5 amp) but nothing where the soldering wand is connected, so I'm guessing it's a board issue.
Do you guys have any clue to what could be the issue? None of the electronics seem to be damaged.
Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• IMG_20190113_172122.jpg
    IMG_20190113_172122.jpg
    725.3 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_20190113_172111.jpg
    IMG_20190113_172111.jpg
    884.7 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_20190113_172147.jpg
    IMG_20190113_172147.jpg
    584.7 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_20190113_172135.jpg
    IMG_20190113_172135.jpg
    610 KB · Views: 197
Looking at the board and components, it's pretty much a basic diac + triac "light dimmer" design.

Something like this, with minor rearrangements and an added filter inductor:
https://www.dapj.net/halogen-bulb-lamp-dimmer-circuit/

For a total guess, the diac is the most likely failure - they do seem to sometimes have problems at times.
That's the diode-like part behind C2.

Looking at the board and components, it's pretty much a basic diac + triac "light dimmer" design.

For a total guess, the diac is the most likely failure - they do seem to sometimes have problems at times.
Ok, that seems like an easy fix. I'll go get a diac tomorrow and post results.
Thanks a lot.
(Btw this seams like a pretty cheap way to make a Soldering station)

Ok, that seems like an easy fix. I'll go get a diac tomorrow and post results.
Thanks a lot.
(Btw this seams like a pretty cheap way to make a Soldering station)

It's not really a soldering station, it's just a light dimmer feeding a standard soldering iron, there's no temperature control at all - just a simple power level adjustment.

Just googled it, I see it's from Lidl - that explains it all.

It's not really a soldering station, it's just a light dimmer feeding a standard soldering iron, there's no temperature control at all - just a simple power level adjustment.

Just googled it, I see it's from Lidl - that explains it all.
Yes, I've since researched it and came to the conclusion that you get what you pay for. But for 12€ I think it's not that bad

Turns out there was a spotty connection at the connector where the voltage enters the circuit, a quick resolder was all that was needed. Thanks a lot for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back