Soldering station repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrusaderTM

Hello, I recently got a Soldering station to help me with my projects, but it does not work.
I lost the receipt so I can't return it (already tried)
I decided to disassemble it to try and fix the issue.
I get a voltage reading where the power goes into the circuit (220 volt 5 amp) but nothing where the soldering wand is connected, so I'm guessing it's a board issue.
Do you guys have any clue to what could be the issue? None of the electronics seem to be damaged.
Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• IMG_20190113_172122.jpg
    725.3 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_20190113_172111.jpg
    884.7 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_20190113_172147.jpg
    584.7 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_20190113_172135.jpg
    610 KB · Views: 210
Looking at the board and components, it's pretty much a basic diac + triac "light dimmer" design.

Something like this, with minor rearrangements and an added filter inductor:
https://www.dapj.net/halogen-bulb-lamp-dimmer-circuit/

For a total guess, the diac is the most likely failure - they do seem to sometimes have problems at times.
That's the diode-like part behind C2.

That appears to just be a crude light dimmer, not a 'controller' at all, so there's not a great deal that can go wrong.

Ok, that seems like an easy fix. I'll go get a diac tomorrow and post results.
Thanks a lot.
(Btw this seams like a pretty cheap way to make a Soldering station)

Ok, that seems like an easy fix. I'll go get a diac tomorrow and post results.
Thanks a lot.
(Btw this seams like a pretty cheap way to make a Soldering station)

It's not really a soldering station, it's just a light dimmer feeding a standard soldering iron, there's no temperature control at all - just a simple power level adjustment.

Just googled it, I see it's from Lidl - that explains it all.

It's not really a soldering station, it's just a light dimmer feeding a standard soldering iron, there's no temperature control at all - just a simple power level adjustment.

Just googled it, I see it's from Lidl - that explains it all.
Yes, I've since researched it and came to the conclusion that you get what you pay for. But for 12€ I think it's not that bad

Turns out there was a spotty connection at the connector where the voltage enters the circuit, a quick resolder was all that was needed. Thanks a lot for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…