Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

soldering iron

Status
Not open for further replies.

hvgap

I did a search and found little.
I am new to electronics but am very interested and i was wondering about what would be a good soldering iron to start out with. I dont want anything from radio shack because ive used them and they are not reliable at all. So what would be a good reliable soldering iron that would last me a good bit of time. Thanks for any help, price is really not an issue, but i guess less than 100 bones would be nice

It's no secret a good soldering iron makes the work a lot easier. For about half your max price, you can pick up reputable brand soldering stations from distributors such as Jameco, etc. Look for one with variable temperature, grounded tip`and

It's no secret a good soldering iron makes the work a lot easier. For about half your max price, you can pick up reputable brand soldering stations from distributors such as Jameco, etc. Look for one with variable temperature, grounded tip`and rapidheat-up

I really am clueless when it comes to this sorta thing, so could you just point them out to me, links would be fantastic.

Again thanks for any and all help

It's pretty simple hvgap, you want the highest wattage possible that's temperature controlled. Temperature control is the important part. For simply work Radio shack models are fine as long as they're temperature controlled. But you can probably do better elsewhere.

so i checked out jameco and saw a good number of irons, and quite a few stations. i dont think i saw any irons with variable temperature so it seems that i would be looking more towards a station. and by the looks of jameco it seems that the link up above would be the cheapest. Would this be a good station that would last me a bit, it is 40 W and variable temperature, just as you said i should look for sceadwian

My Weller temperature controlled soldering iron is over 40 years old and works fine. All irons I bought for work were the same. They still make the same one. It doesn't have the expensive adjustable temperature and display. I select a 700 degrees F tip and it does a good job. The tip lasts nearly forever. I think it is 40W but most of the time it is just idling.
A damp grooved sponge for wiping the tip clean is also important.

Go into the Jameco site and put 229673 in the search box.. I'm looking at the hard-cover catalog (all these places will send you a catalog free if you request) so I think that might be a good station for you.

audioguru said:
My Weller temperature controlled soldering iron is over 40 years old and works fine. All irons I bought for work were the same. They still make the same one. It doesn't have the expensive adjustable temperature and display. I select a 700 degrees F tip and it does a good job. The tip lasts nearly forever. I think it is 40W but most of the time it is just idling.
A damp grooved sponge for wiping the tip clean is also important.

I agree. But the company said get a new iron for me at the office, and the one I linked to is really as good for $34.. Mind you I have to pick the temp.

But at home, I have to VERY old wellers. I hit a switch, add water to a sponge and it always works.

Around the 40 Watt range with adjustable temperature control is your best bet.

My old Dick Smiths soldering iron is nearly 20 years old and has a lot of hours done and works fine, i did replace the triac once.

I am also looking to sheet a wooden desk with something so i can turn it into an area that i can solder without fear of catching the particle board that my desk is made of on fire. Would just plain sheet metal work or is their some super secret material that all the cool guy use that i dont know about?

Soldering Desk

hvgap

You are keen, but good on you.

My soldering desk is an old bureau and i have a tear off A 3 paper pad.
handy to write on notes while working on a circuit.
The paper doesn't catch fire when solder drops on it anyway.

Of course steel would be the best but it is conductive bear that in mind during testing.

Have a good soldering iron stand of course and turn things off when you get away or have a coffee break.

I think it would be hard to start anything wood on fire with a soldering iron. Its certinly not going to go up in flames instantly or anything unless you soak your bench in gasoline or somthing.

My desk has a phony woodgrained plastic on top of it that hardly melts when the iron touches it. I'm pretty ghetto, I don't even have a soldering stand. I have an old shotglass to prop the iron on between solder joints. lol

haha thanks guys, i saw one of my teachers a few weeks ago messing with a circuit, and i asked him about it. I built a few and really liked it so i figure i best start out right if this is going to be a large hobby/ possible career choice(electrical engineer). i mainly need something to level out my desk as it is slightly warped from drink spills, so ill just go to home depot at some port and see what i can find thank you

hvgap said:
haha thanks guys, i saw one of my teachers a few weeks ago messing with a circuit, and i asked him about it. I built a few and really liked it so i figure i best start out right if this is going to be a large hobby/ possible career choice(electrical engineer). i mainly need something to level out my desk as it is slightly warped from drink spills, so ill just go to home depot at some port and see what i can find thank you

I use a "rubber" mat that comes on a roll and is sold by the foot. My table top is glass. I wouldn't recommend laying your soldering iron on it but it has taken plenty of abuse and is still looking good.

Particle board is wood.. I wouldn't worry about it, just get a decent iron holder and you're not going to light anything on fire, though having a fire extinguisher near a work bench is not a bad idea.

Sceadwian said:
Particle board is wood..
Thats what I was getting at.

Sceadwian said:
though having a fire extinguisher near a work bench is not a bad idea
Yup, thats true. I actually have one sitting next to the computer monitor. lol No, i'm not kidding:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back