Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Soldering iron wipe (sponge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolf

I have had a terrible time finding a replacement sponge. Finally found some cellulose based sponges at the Dollar Store, 4ea in a package for $1.oo, just cut to size. They holds moisture good and don't burn.
Now I have enough to last a lifetime, just thought I would share.

Last edited:
I know that one, I use the ones from the car shop......... They work good too

I use a brass shavings sponge thing. Never seems to wear out...so doesn't really need to get replaced. I hate using a sponge...has never worked well for me. Always seemed to solidify the solder onto the tip before it could be wiped off.

Last edited:
You're right, they are just cellulose sponges, available WAY cheaper than what a sponge costs from say Weller.

If you go to a hardware/big box/DIY store and check in the paint department for wallpaper sponges, you will find the same as what came with your iron, plain yellow cellulose sponge. They are even shrunk and flat packed sometimes.

I have one the size of a large brick, when I need a new sponge, I slice one off the "loaf"

I like the brass sponge for cleaning the 'gunk' off the tip ... it's more abrasive than the damp sponge ... but the sponge does the best job of keeping the point well-wetted ... sometimes after a session of de-gunking with the brass sponge, the tip won't re-wet completely, so a little solder and flux and a few rubs on the damp spong, problem solved.

if your sponge is hardening the solder on contact with the tip, the sponge is too thick and able to sink the heat away quickly, or it's just really wet - should be damp enough to be supple, but not enough that you can wring water out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back