Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Soldering Instructional Video?

Status
Not open for further replies.

For The Popcorn

Most Helpful Member
Here's a ¿great? Instructional video on how to solder, used to promote a soldering iron. It has to be seen to be believed – words can't describe it!

My suggestion? If anything in this video looks like a good idea, you should probably find a different hobby! Do notice at the end of the video, the third LED from the left doesn't even illuminate – how can that possibly be with this quality soldering job?!?

Yeah, I think it would have to be much, much better to rise to the level of horrible!

If you click on the video, it takes you to the soldering iron the video was intended to advertise. Given the quality of the soldering in the video, you might want to avoid this brand!

Worst soldering I've seen since I let an 8 year old boy build a kit on his own. Come to think of it is absolutely the worse I've seen.

I taught my daughter to solder when she was about 7 or 8, using Velleman LED kits for her to build - stood her in good stead, as they did a little electronics at secondary school (555 timer), and she could solder better than the teacher (or anyone else). Then at University (doing a Masters Degree in Chemistry) they had to build an opamp based circuit,for measuring the light level passing through a liquid - again, she was the best solderer there, including the professor :D

If you look closely then you will see that the LED that does not light has its flat side the opposite to the LEDs that light.
The Chinese(?) guy carries solder around on the dirty tip of his soldering iron exactly like guys in India on You Tube videos.

Soldering is a skill which Nigel's post makes pretty clear. Practice and more practice develops the skill. That and always remember when soldering, the bigger the blob the better the job. :)

Ron

If you've watched the video, there's obviously nothing right in it.

If you are looking for an excellent guide to soldering, Soldering Is Easy, available in many languages.

FullSolderComic_EN_Page_1_resized.png

How is it, you can easily make blobs by accident - but if you try and deliberately make a blob to join two parts of a PCB together, then it's really difficult? :D
Yes, and where you place pads for intentional solder bridges (like for setting I2C addresses), there seem to be two options – the gap between pads makes them really difficult to bridge or, making the gap infinitesimally smaller, waving a soldering iron anywhere near them results in a bridge!

Yes, and where you place pads for intentional solder bridges (like for setting I2C addresses), there seem to be two options – the gap between pads makes them really difficult to bridge or, making the gap infinitesimally smaller, waving a soldering iron anywhere near them results in a bridge!
On one of the small units we manufacture, I realised that we could make it more versatile/configurable by adding a solder bridge across two nearby pads - we don't sell that many configured that way, but it's still quite a few. Anyway, it got to the stage I found it faster to solder a wire across, rather than just a blob :D

When we ran out of PCB's, and ordered a new batch - I took the opportunity to add a suitable pad to solder across - that made it a lot easier.

I order the boards in batches of 600, it's a 'reasonable' compromise between the costs of the boards, and the costs of the carriage (which is more than the cost of the boards) - 600 lasts us about a year?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back