Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

soldering by Blower (HeatGun)

Status
Not open for further replies.

itaishi

is soldering parts by heatgun not making damage to other parts on the PCB?
cant it melt other parts solders?

like in this video:

is soldering parts by heatgun not making damage to other parts on the PCB?
Not unless the temperature is too hot.

cant it melt other parts solders?
Yes, but if you uses a small nozzle on the heat gun, and don't have too fast an airflow, the surface tension of the molten solder will hold the parts in place.

like in this video:
I don't claim to be an expert in surface mount soldering, I am a relative beginner, but that guys technique looks to be poor.

JimB

Heat pens/guns or even fuel type pins can smelt solder.

All tho having done this with soldering irons, this... replacement vid could have been done differently. The heat in excess can eat away at the pcb tracks on certain boards, and with too much heat can cause the lines to lift right off the board. The video did show the button smelting a bit and the plate shielding the IC components and that capacitor that went up still had energy stored in it, no discharge was done, Niobium or Tantalum, ceramic, electrolytic and so on, caps really do not like being heated directly on their head, a fine pin adapter on the heat guns tip focused at each contact point of the part would work as the same with that button or other parts to target the solder at best.

Heat guns can also smelt plastics, and even smoke wood... especially for the ones that have a high setting range of around 400 C / 752 deg F.

I occasionally do reflow soldering with a heat gun, a Weller 6966c with a reducing baffle. More often though, I use it to remove the failed SMD IC's before cleaning the PCB and installing the replacement using a regular pencil iron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back