Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solder Paste SMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

aperri

All

Just bought a hot air rework station which I should have next week. Since I am just learning how to work with SMT I was wondering if anyone has used solder paste. Do you have a recommendation where to get it in amounts that a hobbyist would use (pen or syringe ) knowing it’s for SMD removal and install?

Anthony

Your local electronics store is by far your best bet otherwise you will be paying for overnight shipping.

If your not in a hurry, Ebay is probably your best bet(unless you have a local hobby store, I dont) shipping is usually much cheaper than distributors on small quantities. I came up w/ THIS on a quick search.
I also found an interesting DIY surface mount soldering iron HERE.

So thanks for the feedback but now I have another question (probably more after that). I read some where that the syringe you get doesn't have the plunger or the needle. Is that correct do I have to order them separately?

Thanks
Anthony

aperri said:
So thanks for the feedback but now I have another question (probably more after that). I read some where that the syringe you get doesn't have the plunger or the needle. Is that correct do I have to order them separately?

Thanks
Anthony

When you are dealing with sellers on Ebay, ask them any questions you have, their email address is always available. If they don't answer within a reasonable time just avoid them. I get my questions answered most of the time.

On the right side of the page, Under "MEET THE SELLER" just click" ASK SELLER A QUESTION". Most of the time, for products such as this, the pic is just a representation of the product and not the actual item(syringe) you will receive.

Ive got no use for a wallet and a head full of cobwebs ...

john1 said:
Ive got no use for a wallet and a head full of cobwebs ...
Any particular reason your being a jerk?

lighten up,
just a joke.

If it bothers you, would you like me to remove it ?

John :)

No, its ok, I just didnt know how to take it since Ive never spoken to you before.

Hi,

After reading through that link you posted earlier, i took some pics of one of my
earlier attempts to make a tiny hot air unit, but my one didn't work, and i lost
interest.

In that article they described putting in some wire-wool, and i think that is such
a good idea that i am interested again in trying to make it work.
So i may get round to that later.

Also a picture of a 'tip' i made out of thick copper wire, 1.5 mm. i think, that
was to work on a tiny solder joint in a very awkward place. It actually worked
well, but the unit was also damaged elsewhere so although that was successful,
the unit failed.

A tip like that could be use on 'surface type' resistors, i would think.
Maybe it could have two legs, to save bending them up, getting one leg off at a
time. Bending one side up might pull the track off the board.
I may try it one day.

The dog in the av looks very happy. Yours? or just a pic.

Regards, John :)

Attachments

• Air-Iron-1.jpg
    Air-Iron-1.jpg
    420.5 KB · Views: 163
  • Air-Iron-2.jpg
    Air-Iron-2.jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 165
  • Sold-Iron-Mod-01.jpg
    Sold-Iron-Mod-01.jpg
    386.8 KB · Views: 165
Interesting design! What did you use for your air supply? If you do decide to build the hot air unit, let me know how it works out for you. Ive been debating building one myself. Its just not at the top of my "to do" list right now.

Yes that is my dog,Her name is Pearl. Thats her "MEAN" face but, she IS very happy in that pic. She likes to play rough, and growls, snarls, and barks a lot while playing. The pic was taken one day when I got her all riled up.

Air supply,
well that was just me blowing down the end of the flexible tube.
If it worked, i was gonna get a fish-tank blower.

I now think that the copper wool braid in the air current must add a lot
to the resulting air temperature, and any subsequent attempt will include
some of that, and its not as easy as i thought to blow at any kind of
consistency so i will also use a fish-tank type air supply.

I also think that 'wrapping' the hot part of the iron in that way uses
much more of the available heat, than just using the tip, as they have in
that 'Engadget' site.
Mind you, their one worked, mine didn't !
But they had to wait for it to heat up, and maybe between uses too.

If or when i do put a more sensible assembly together, i will post about it.

At the moment i am trying to make up a small scale screen printing set-up,
just for one-off or two-off prints. Like the sort of thing people use to do
home made CDs, to make them look nice and professional. I'm still looking
at various methods. It's not specifically for PCBs, but it could include them.
I usually use vero board for my little assemblies, but the surface mount stuff
can sometimes be cheaper, and they won't fit on vero board. So i will probably
start making home made PCBs.

Regards, John :)

I just happened to be in a pet store today, and picked up an aquarium pump w/ 8' of tubing. I also got the de-soldering iron on my way home, but forgot to get more de-soldering braid. It doesnt make a difference anyway since I have no paste! DUH! Ill get the braid tomorrow and maybe try to take something apart until I can aquire some paste. Ill let you know how it goes.

As for the homemade PCBs, thats a topic I am interested in but know nothing about. YET!

I just ordered some paste, I plan on giving this an official test run by the end of next week, time allowing.

Dan

Can I ask where you ordered the solder paste from? I would like to find a local supplier ( I live in Connecticut).

Anthony

aperri said:
Dan

Can I ask where you ordered the solder paste from? I would like to find a local supplier ( I live in Connecticut).

Anthony

I ordered it from ebay, I had posted the link earlier in this thread. I unfortunately dont know of any other suppliers. I live on Long Island and would also like to find someone local to buy my supplies from. Radioshack is the closest thing Ive got, and they have a very limited selection.Veeeeeerrrrrrry limited! DIGIKEY and EBAY are my primary sources for parts and supplies at the moment.

I wish you luck on your quest! Let us know how you make out.

I got my paste today, it Is a fresh tube(MFG 1/08, EXP 1/09), Yes it comes w/ the needle & plunger. Shipping was very fast, 3 business days. I still havent finished the iron yet, nor have I looked for something to take apart / reassemble. Sat. is supposed to be crappy, sounds like a good tinker day! Ill keep you posted.

I got my paste today, it Is a fresh tube(MFG 1/08, EXP 1/09), Yes it comes w/ the needle & plunger. Shipping was very fast, 3 business days. I ordered from the Ebay link I posted early in this thread.
I still havent finished the iron yet, nor have I looked for something to take apart / reassemble. Sat. is supposed to be crappy, sounds like a good tinker day! Ill keep you posted.

paste.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back