Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

solar traking or mirrors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm kind of working toward a similar project. I've got 3 x 18 watt panels, and one 14 watt, 4 x 18 AH SLA batteries. The 14 watt panel is on my roof, in a fix position (guessed), and has been doing fine about a year. Got the other three panels about a month ago, but have decided on how to mount them. Don't really have enough angle aluminum on had to make a frame like the first panel, so been thinking a little more exotic, since I'll need to buy anyway.

I'm looking to use a pair of wiper motors (got 6 or 7 laying around), they are pretty strong, and the worm gear should hold position well. Also have a linear actuator off an old satellite dish, might be useful, but about 4 feet long (retracted).

I'm in no big hurry to get it done, so planning on dual axis. Might not make much difference in net power, but figure on continuing to add panels. The experience will make it worth while. One thing that has me stump, is the pivot points and support for the panels. Need something that will be strong and steady in high winds, maybe a hurricane, yet still move when needed.

I also want use the solar power for mostly lighting, and the coffee maker, maybe a small beer cooler later. So I have something during hurricane season.

Don't really have enough angle aluminum on had to make a frame like the first panel, so been thinking a little more exotic, since I'll need to buy anyway.

2" Al angle makes for a nice frame.

I'm looking to use a pair of wiper motors (got 6 or 7 laying around), they are pretty strong, and the worm gear should hold position well. Also have a linear actuator off an old satellite dish, might be useful, but about 4 feet long (retracted).

Went the car seat motor route, and it was a mistake, because they are only intermittent duty. Nice and compact though. The up/down motor gets stink'in hot. The motor is hooked up to a 3/8" universal joint (like the socket tool type), which in turn is welded to some 1/2" all thread.

One thing that has me stump, is the pivot points and support for the panels. Need something that will be strong and steady in high winds, maybe a hurricane, yet still move when needed.

Seen a linear actuator that pushed up a couple of good sized panels on an RV once. Swear to god that it was going to twist right off the roof in a good stiff wind. Which led me to the idea of traveling bar arrangement.

The travelling bar (1 1/2" sq. tube) has the all thread nut in the middle supported to either side by 1/2" drill rod. The traveling bar slides on the drill rod with 1/2" brass bushing inserts.

In this case there are three pivot points. The lower one is the one you would expect, from panel frame to turntable. The second one is approximately mid panel frame to lever bar, one each side of the panel frame. And three, is from the traveling bar ends, each side, to lever bars.

So when the motor is turning the all thread, the travelling bar pushes/pulls the lever bars to to push/pull the panel frame up and down. This makes for a very flat profile when retracted, sturdy, and somewhat complicated design.

Best of luck to all.

dual axis mechanical actuator for solar tracking

I have used the two axis mechanical tracking I have seen at imknlebanon on you tube, it is very robust, and can handle up to 1.5 meter diameter dish (depending on you wind load), it comes complete with motors (0.6 amp -1amp loaded current draw) even comes with two encoder feedback all in one package. very heavy duty system, water tight. Prices very low.

Let me know if you need info, and I will write you back
imadimad@bellsouth.net (put on your title solar tracking) for quick sorting on my part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back