Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

solar traking or mirrors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderchild

I'm going to start setting up some solar panels

I don't think its worth having them track the sun or maybe it is worth it, you tell me that, but what about increasing the light they get with mirrors ? has anyone ever done that ?

Go with the solar tracking. Increased heat by reflecting light with mirrors will end up damaging the panels or at least make them run inefficiently. (they run better cooler) A good dual axis tracker will increase output up to 30%

Well I'd be more inclined to set the second axis by hand every few months, the main performance factor will be over the vertical axis. my main worry is wind how do I prevent the panels pushing on the mecanism like sails ?

I found these
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
@umer27

But see, I had to point that out, so you could explain it. If your so proud of your graph why not put all of the info on it, so it can speak for itself?

Last edited:
Well I'd be more inclined to set the second axis by hand every few months, the main performance factor will be over the vertical axis. my main worry is wind how do I prevent the panels pushing on the mecanism like sails ?

I found these
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Even a single axis tracker like the link I gave you before is very sturdy.:)

My tracker has 8 x250 Watt panels, and Im using a single linear actuator.

Please read the very very good single axis tracker with detail ..

but where is it ?

well I have to put mine on a wall so that sort of mecanism may not work, mine will be one next to the other is a line. and all i see is a list of ideas and parts.

like I said that sort of mecanism is not what I need your pictures give no info at all infact that looks to me solidly stationary. just keep your project in your projects thread where I've already made my comments on it....

pretty much yes I'm thinking of a screwing mecanism with a nut on the panel and a long threaded shaft turned by a motor so that it will "rock" from side to side. obviosly the nut needs to be able to swivel on the panel plane

If you had a hinged frame for each one to pivot on, then a long acme threaded rod with nut assemblies attached to a lever on each panel. That would rotate or pivot the panels then you would have to work out limit switches, tracking and the like but that should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back