Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Semi flexible solar panels

On the back of Qlder1 thread about his proposed lithium system upgrade, I thought I’d open up a new thread on semi flexible solar panels.

The reason I am considering these is purely weight, and because I only have a Bimini over my fly bridge. I’d love a hard top up there, but that means more cost, and more weight, and then that weight is increased if I have a hard top with hard solar panels. The top of my Bimini is about 4.5m above the waterline, so any weight up there needs to be kept to a minimum.

A while back I bought a so called 500w semi flex panel fro eBay. I thought it was too good to be true, but at only $160 thought it worth a go. I was right, too good to be true. There do appear to be some decent quality semi flex panels out there. Renogy have a 175 w at $319; Baintech 110w for $415; Solbian 144w at $1499; Sunman 175w at $379.

So, a huge range in prices. Does anyone have any experience with semi flex panels, and if so can you recommend brands and tell me about the performance.

On the back of Qlder1 thread about his proposed lithium system upgrade, I thought I’d open up a new thread on semi flexible solar panels.

The reason I am considering these is purely weight, and because I only have a Bimini over my fly bridge. I’d love a hard top up there, but that means more cost, and more weight, and then that weight is increased if I have a hard top with hard solar panels. The top of my Bimini is about 4.5m above the waterline, so any weight up there needs to be kept to a minimum.

A while back I bought a so called 500w semi flex panel fro eBay. I thought it was too good to be true, but at only $160 thought it worth a go. I was right, too good to be true. There do appear to be some decent quality semi flex panels out there. Renogy have a 175 w at $319; Baintech 110w for $415; Solbian 144w at $1499; Sunman 175w at $379.

So, a huge range in prices of flexible solar panels. Does anyone have any experience with semi flex panels, and if so can you recommend brands and tell me about the performance.
thanks in advance for any help

Have a look at CIGS material - that's available as a roll in different sizes.

eg.

When it comes to quality, it seems like you've done your homework. Renogy, Baintech, Solbian, and Sunman have quite the range in prices, but I'm guessing performance matters most, right?
If I were in your shoes, I'd lean towards the ones with decent reviews and performance records. Brands like Renogy and Sunman tend to be reliable, but it's always great to hear from folks who've had hands-on experience with these semi-flex panels. Real-world insights can be invaluable.
And speaking of getting the most out of your solar setup, have you thought about pairing those panels with a Home Energy Storage System? It's like saving sunshine for a rainy day!

Last edited:

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back