Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solar retrofit for kids toy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously rechargable batteries two sets, change each day and use a mains charger! Your obsession with solar is a worry for a uk resident

The mains charger idea is EXCLUDED (I said this before)!!!!! I'm just trying to help. I will quote my own post...:banghead:
Only solution that MAY work is to find a dynamo, a large spring and other mechanical parts so that you can build a generator. Take a look at the african radios that are used without any problems. However the toy may consume more than a radio...
s-l300.jpg

A hand crank generator with a supercap would be fine. Or you can take the car's battery and solve the problem... for the moment.
I can imagine this thread with more than 10 pages, only for a 70 mA night problem.

Dunno if this is miscommunication or what, I was saying a charger you plug in 'somewhere else in the house' then you take out the batteries from this unit and put them in the toy!

Or are you off grid? well alot depends on info given, you want solar but solar is not likely to work so many people trying to help you. BUT its like extracting gold out of lead getting info

Or buy a new toy.......................................

I don't think she will play with that toy every day. She will solve all the puzzles and will get bored, so we will no longer argue...

The only chargers I have seen require removing the cells from the load and place them in the charger. I don't want to be removing the cells everyday. blah!
Every day? No, every two weeks! Energizer AA Ni-MH AA cells have a capacity of 2300mAh and will provide 70mA for 32 hours. That is a few days longer than 2 weeks.

Energizer AA alkaline cells are cheap if you buy a package of 20 or more on sale. They will also last for a little more than 2 weeks.

Last edited:
I don't know what more information you are expecting.

The hypothesis the batteries would need to be changed every two weeks is based on the assumption she turns it off when she is done. Therein lies the problem (see OP), she does not turn it off, then falls a sleep and it is on for 4-16 hours per usage. I have purchased alkaline cells. The package of 36 costs $11.99 and was empty in three weeks (2 at a time). If they had made the unit so I didn't have to take it off the wall, I probably wouldn't have an issue.

I don't know what more information you are expecting.

The hypothesis the batteries would need to be changed every two weeks is based on the assumption she turns it off when she is done. Therein lies the problem (see OP), she does not turn it off, then falls a sleep and it is on for 4-16 hours per usage. I have purchased alkaline cells. The package of 36 costs $11.99 and was empty in three weeks (2 at a time). If they had made the unit so I didn't have to take it off the wall, I probably wouldn't have an issue.
No the figures are based on hours in a day. AG was pointing out good batteries would last just over 2 weeks if left on, nowhere did he give a per day hour usage. Helps to read and understand both question and answer grass hopper.

I am not expecting any more info, I am working on a solar panel design for you. Of course your going to have to shine a very bright torch on it to make it work but thats a minor detail we will ignore.

I'm sorry, I'm not following. How does 32 hours equate to 2 weeks? I agree with the 32 hours. That is about what I was seeing from the Alkaline batteries. I set every 1-2 days (24-48 hours).

I'm sorry, I'm not following. How does 32 hours equate to 2 weeks? I agree with the 32 hours. That is about what I was seeing from the Alkaline batteries. I set every 1-2 days (24-48 hours).
It dosnt, however if you had read his reply you would realize there was a keyboard error and a 0 is missing. So try plugging in 320 ;)

I was explaing where I think AG got his 2 weeks from

Two weeks is 14 days. The girl plays with the toy for 2 hours each day. 14 x 2= 28 hours plus a few more so the battery still works fine after 2 weeks.

But I forgot to say that we need a timer or a circuit to detect no change then shut the game off after 2 hours. Then the girl will cry when it shuts off when she has not finished.

Two weeks is 14 days. The girl plays with the toy for 2 hours each day. 14 x 2= 28 hours plus a few more so the battery still works fine after 2 weeks.

But I forgot to say that we need a timer or a circuit to detect no change then shut the game off after 2 hours. Then the girl will cry when it shuts off when she has not finished.
Duck tape solves the last problem ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back