Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solar powered dual pir stair lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beevo

I've seen a post here regarding dual PIRs for stair lighting but I'm wondering if anyone can help with how to wire up dual PIRs for stairs where the lighting is LED and the power is from a small solar panel. I'm actually surprised there isn't something I can buy off the shelf. I wondered if I purchased two such units from Maplin would I be able to wire them up in such a way so as to have the lights activated from either top of the stairs or bottom of the stairs.

I don't need flood lighting - just enough to see each stair so you don't have an accident. Previously (before I was thinking of solar) I had already bought some strip LED lighting which came with a transformer - I was hoping to fit them flush into the side of the stairway. Later for an entirely different purpose I had also purchased a PIR flood light unit from maplin for the front door porch. (images attached) Not having time to fit either, I considered the idea of using the solar power from the flood lights to power the LED strip lights for the stairs. But was stopped short when I realised I would need two PIRs not one.

So to be clear. I would be using the solar panel and PIR from the floodlights (But not the lights), adding another PIR and using the strip lights for the stairs, to end up with strip lighting on the stairs, powered from a solar powered charged source, and triggered from either the upstairs PIR or the downstairs PIR.

I have some experience with electronics in the past but confess to being a little rusty and not up to speed with regarding wiring two separate PIRs to the same circuit.

Not sure if these links to the images on my dropbox will work but here goes - here is a link to a folder with three images
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lhg7uhlsuak6rm7/AAC7ViWe3Rpt8BCDavfBJVGga?dl=0

Of course the solar panels must be mounted on the roof or somewhere for maximum sunshine.
A solar powered LED circuit might not work at night following a cloudy day. It probably will not work in winter unless it is on the equator. My electricity is much more reliable than my solar garden lights.
The PIR circuit has a current limiter in it that must be removed. Without having a schematic and parts diagram what will you remove?
The solar panel, battery and PIR are designed for 3.6V so the 12V LED strips will not work unless you add a voltage stepup circuit.
You probably must add diodes to isolate the two PIR circuits.

Thanks audioguru. It's just a trial really. My wife's Filipino and hates to use electricity for the cost (even though it's quite small I know). It would be a win win for me if I can not die on the stairs at night and it is free light at the same time :) . Don't know if you can see the images but the PIR flood light system has 3 1200 mAh Ni-MH rechargeable batteries and a separate solar panel (so I could mount that on the roof) the bottom of the stairway leads to a porch so I have attic access direct to where I can mount the solar panel.
The complete LED setup was powered by 12v and consumes 1.59W in total.

So I guess what your saying is there are too many unknown variables. If I have to (not the cleanest solution but) I suppose I could run two separate systems with their own PIR, LEDs and solar panel.
Thanks anyway.

I suggest try it with one PIR to start. If the lights are bright enough, figure out how they switch it. You can put a PIR at the top of the stairs and one at the bottom. Wire it so either or both can turn it on. Get back to us on that.

Right now I have 40 solar garden lights charging on the windowsill of my computer room. At night I turn them around so they light the room, hall and stairs nearby. I replace the AAA Ni-MH battery on some of them following a cloudy day with ones I have charged in a charger. I modified most of these solar garden lights so they blink or fade red, green and blue but a few are the original continuous white.

The solar garden lights were cheap Chinese ones and made of plastic, not stainless steel. I bought 10 then returned the ones that worked poorly. Then I replaced them with another 10 and returned more over and over until I have 40 that work pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back